• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
qwertyuiop7

Rear Beam Tube, Clamp In The Middle Of It What's It For?

qwertyuiop7

Halfway thru swapping my rear beam over and i have a couple of questions i'm hoping you can help me with.

1. In the middle of the main beam tube there is 2 piece clamp thats bolted round the tube and it has a steel loop welded to the front of it. From this loop there is a flat steel strip running forward and this is bolted to the body at the central exhaust hanger. (a heat shield is also bolted to this) The flat strip and the loop aren't actually fixed together at all, so i'm not sure what it does. Any ideas what its all for. None of the recon rear beams i have seem for sale have the clamp on, mine included

P1050405.jpg

P1050407.jpg

P1050409.jpg

2. The rear end of the flat steel strip and the rear of the heat shield is hung from the body on an angle bracket thats bolted up using a stupidly small M6 stud. Needless to say i have sheared it off. Will i be ok drilling a hole next to the bust stud and fixing the bracket with a nut and bolt. Is there anything behind the panel i need to worry about when i'm drilling

P1050406.jpg

Daviewonder

It's a fuel tank strap, you don't need it. I have removed several from my 205's in the past with no issues.

Obey_R

Yeah its basically a failsafe if the tank fixings fail/shear. In two minds whether to refit mine but a lot of people don't, I think I heard the 309 doesn't have one either, not sure though. The M6 stud your talking about, is that the one which is above the clamp going to the back of the rear seats? This one stumped me when I was taking the beam off - all the bolts where off and it just wouldn't budge, turned out this was the only thing holding it up. Don't know how it didn't break!

SurGie

Would having this removed mean it would not be good enough for concourse competitions ?

Iv got a feeling it would.

shalmaneser
Would having this removed mean it would not be good enough for concourse competitions ?

Iv got a feeling it would.

I'm sure it would be fine, I know the point of concours is to be a bit anal, but the judges would have to be right arseholes to call you out on this...

RossD
Yeah its basically a failsafe if the tank fixings fail/shear.

I'm not so sure - Not all models had it, the base models certainly didn't. It's certianly been a discussion point on here for many years!

Obey_R

A base model 'Look' I broke not so long ago had one on it, but liek you say not all do.

Anthony

The tank strap is only on 3dr 205's. 5dr models and 309's don't have it.

Mad Scientist

I was wondering about this today. Do you think they have a place on a track/rally car that may be more abused than most? The fixings on the back of the tank seem fairly sturdy to me.

Basically, is it a safety issue not having one?

mickie

fit a smaller stronger tank if you're scared

Mad Scientist

I'm not scared. Just wondered if it might fall off!

Might just refit the strap.

Sorry to hijack the thread!

Anthony

For what it's worth, I've seen gravel/forest rally cars without the strap fitted, and know someone that rolled their 205 end over end completely destroying it, and the fuel tank was still attached. Certainly trackday use isn't an issue, and besides, I really can't see the tank falling out - even if the studs snapped, it's held in by the handbrake cables, filler neck, heatshield, and exhaust.

If you're concerned though, refit the strap for peace of mind - it doesn't do any harm after all, just a few grams and a bit more of a faff removing/refitting the beam :)

Henry Yorke
I'm sure it would be fine, I know the point of concours is to be a bit anal, but the judges would have to be right arseholes to call you out on this...

For full concours then I would include it as it would technically be a piece of the car that is missing. Originality is key. I know a few people who have refitted these for that reason. I have seen historical discussions on the right paint code for rear beams etc

SurGie

Thanks Henry, so i guess these are still available new from Peugeot ?

What is the beam paint code colour ?

Henry Yorke
What is the beam paint code colour ?

You want to speak to Rich Treen as he researched this. Though I am sure Welshpug will know too!!

SurGie
The tank strap is only on 3dr 205's. 5dr models and 309's don't have it.

That's not entirely correct Anthony, i checked my 5 door GT whilst i was preparing the welding for the floor pan round the brake pipe fixture's for the MOT, i then spotted this. If you check out the Haynes workshop manual, the undercarriage picture is of a GT and the strap is on that as well.

th_WeldingrearseatandGTstrap002.jpg th_WeldingrearseatandGTstrap005.jpg

Edited by SurGie

Anthony

OK then - certainly the vast majority of 5dr models don't have it

RossD

Nope, mine certainly didn't \ doesn't!