• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
driversdomainuk

Dashboard Now Out!

driversdomainuk

Hi All

The dash is totally out of my 205 now, have been carefully removing the redundand wires. Have also removed the ECU as I am running carbs...

Well I have displaced the ECU, yet have not disconnected the wires - I have noticed a huge collection of wires from the ECU disappear into the bulk head.

Can I just check I am not needing the ECU or wires into it now as I am on Weber Carbs...?

Are there any tips to getting the wires/ECU out - only ask as they appear to be all linked into a very important looking line of wires into the engine...

thanks

Rob

HERMAN

I am not sure if they are all the same on all models/years but the cables/loom that go thought the bulk head near the rack on the drivers side are all from the ecu. You should be able to remove all the cables if you are running carbs. The main cables needed to keep every thing else working come through the bulkhead near the coil (eg coil, ignition amp, starter, sensors for dash and gauges ect)

The loom from the ecu goes to the injectors, cam sensor, throttle pot, sad, coolant temp sensor, and maybe a couple of other items. It also connects to the battery/power distribution box near the headlight but this is just the power supply to the ecu and can also be removed.

Note this was the case with my car a 1988 1.9gti.

I blanked the hole were the loom came out.

DSCF1602.jpg

driversdomainuk
I am not sure if they are all the same on all models/years but the cables/loom that go thought the bulk head near the rack on the drivers side are all from the ecu. You should be able to remove all the cables if you are running carbs. The main cables needed to keep every thing else working come through the bulkhead near the coil (eg coil, ignition amp, starter, sensors for dash and gauges ect)

The loom from the ecu goes to the injectors, cam sensor, throttle pot, sad, coolant temp sensor, and maybe a couple of other items. It also connects to the battery/power distribution box near the headlight but this is just the power supply to the ecu and can also be removed.

Note this was the case with my car a 1988 1.9gti.

I blanked the hole were the loom came out.

DSCF1602.jpg

thanks for that - sorry to sound thick, but how would the cam sensor work now - or does having carbs remove the need for this??

HERMAN

The cam sensor is for the ecu to see what position the engine is at and is not needed for carbs.

rescue dude

You don't need an ECU if you run carbs.

driversdomainuk

ok....

I have removed all the tape on the wires going through to the engine bay from the ecu and have a few questions, hopefully someone could help me with.

I just thought the wires would be loose and I will be able to pull out nice and easy, as they dont do anything. This is not the case!

The wires from ecu all lead to either:

1. The top of the Coil - (these wires, half way down the engne bay, near gearbox look like they have been terminal connected from another coloured wire - why is this?) looks a bit of a bodge job to me!

2. Some wires in the collection are earthed near gearbox

3. Some wires in this huge collection lead to this fuse box type thingy (see picture below) - what is this and do I need it? (if you look it sits just below the coil)

http://www.driversdomainuk.com/wp-content/...coil-thingy.jpg

Also one last question, I have noticed there is this other fuse box thingy...is inside car which has wires disappearing into the engine bay along with the wires from the ECU, it also has wires diverting off to the loom - what is this and do I need it?

http://www.driversdomainuk.com/wp-content/...-car-thingy.jpg

Thanks in advanced

Rob

Cameron

Unknown thingy No.1: Ignition module, you'll need this!

Unknown thingy No.2: Tachometric relay, you'll need this too!

driversdomainuk
Unknown thingy No.1: Ignition module, you'll need this!

Unknown thingy No.2: Tachometric relay, you'll need this too!

ah ha! and my guess is that the tach relay inside the car is wired to the ingition module...hence the confusion over "non-ecu" wires being found in the huge mass of wires going into the engine bay?

Cameron

I think it's wired to the ignition module, coil and fuel pump. Don't hold me to it though, never investigated the wiring. :)