• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Stevo309

Steering Rack Upgrades

Stevo309

Just got the refurbished rear beam on the car and back on it's wheels. I think i've pretty much changed everything now that could possible cause any slop in the handling and the car is very planted in the corners. It really turns in well, suspension is firm yet not harsh etc and for a road car i really think this is a nice setup. Here's what i ended up with:

Front:

Bilstein B4 shocks

New OEM top mount set

New Eibach -30mm springs

New OEM wishbone bushes

New drop links

New steering rack (non PAS)

New track rod ends

New lower steering column/UJ

Rear:

Fully rebuilt rear beam (OEM bearings etc) - Thanks Tom

New 306 GTI large body dampers

Baker Group A solid beam mounts

Despite all this though the car still has a dead spot in the steering around centre. It's just an initial lack of response and i've read about it elsewhere with the 205 non PAS setup. All the parts above have gradually improved things but i feel i can't go any further without thinking about the steering ratio. It does feel like a bus sometimes in the slower corners where a lot of lock is needed so i've done some reading. I know this has been covered before but the more i read the more options seem to come out.

My options seem to be:

205 PAS rack with PAS disabled (Not keen for MOT reasons and seems a bit of a bodge to me)

205 PAS rack with PAS (Possibly but probably need to drive one first)

306 PAS rack (non-gti as i don't like the idea of limited lock)

Xsara or similar PAS setup

Quaife quickrack (205 non-pas)

This is a standard road car really and intended as a restoration but i'm just not entirely happy with the handling as it is, i wonder if the OEM 205 PAS setup really will offer a significant improvement? I'm not keen on going down the route of electric PAS as i want to keep it looking standard under the bonnet.

Would it be possible to use the PAS pump and pipework from a 205 and the rack from something like a 306 XSI? I have a 306 GTI and the ratio seems pretty good to me depsite the lack of lock the steering response is very good and what i'm looking for in the 205. Is there a 306 rack non-pas with a smaller ratio than the 205 one?

Just wondered what anyone's thoughts were on this?

Tom Fenton

I've personally found the standard 205 PAS to be pretty good in the past and a decent improvement, for your car Steve also with the added advantage that it will all remain factory looking.

tomcolinjones

we have a 205 cti, with pas. and allthough it is on i beleve a base model subframe, and handles like a jelly due to no roof, the steering response is a lot better than my old 1.9 non pas. i would go for it. i am hoping to use the mi16 pump for my pas rack for my mi build- xs to mi16

Edited by tomcolinjones

Stevo309

I know the ratio difference is only small but i remember my 309 being very direct on the steering and didn't have this issue at all. I guess the 309 gti and 205 gti have the same rack? Just slightly different track rod lengths? I suppose i would really like to drive a 205 with PAS to feel the difference and decide if it's good enough for what i want.

For this car i'd certainly like to keep it near standard, at least looking standard anyway.

Very impressed with solid beam mounts btw. Was a little concerned about putting these on an otherwise standard car but i have noticed no additional road noise and the car just feels more planted and solid.

Anthony
I know the ratio difference is only small but i remember my 309 being very direct on the steering and didn't have this issue at all.

The difference between a non-PAS rack (3.9 turns IIRC) and a PAS rack (3.2 turns IIRC) is very noticeable on the road, and makes a massive difference to the feel of the car. After driving one with a PAS rack, the standard non-PAS rack feels very slow and unweildy by comparison.

205 and 309 PAS racks are the same AFAIK, just the track rods are longer on the 309 item.

JRL

I can vouch for an xsara vts steering rack without power steering it feels very responsive or go for that quaife rack.

Gibbo GTI

Demon Tweeks do a high ratio rack & pinion kit. Quoted as ratio of 2.78

Stevo309

Thanks i'll take a look. I'm leaning towards a 205 PAS rack or a high ratio upgrade on the current standard rack. As i have a new rack on my car i'm tempted to go for a Quaife or other kit as it will save having to install all the PAS gubbins and changing the lower column (as the current square drive one is brand new). I just hope it's not too heavy though. Quaife is quoted at 2.7 turns.

Edit: Just checked Demon Tweeks and it's actually the Quaife kit anyway. Same price too.

Edited by Stevo309