• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
supersub14

Advice On Brake Caliper Windback Tool...

supersub14

Im thinking of buying one of those caliper pistion windback tools. Used one at a mates the other night and found it far handier than using a g-clamp lol

Has anyone here any recommendations? Is there much difference in the right & left hand kits compared to the single ones. I need it for use on Ford & Toyota too.

Single kit

tool.jpg

Left & Right Kit

lrtool.jpg

It was a single kit my mate had. I always thought all pistons wound in the same way so dont know why you'd need 2 different sided winders??

alync406

The only car I know of that you need the left hand tool for is the Citroen Xantia which had the handbrake on the front callipers. Just make sure that the kit you get has all the bits in it to fit the callipers on the cars you will be doing.

welshpug

they don't work on 205's or 405/6's due to the shape of the pad carrier.

a piece of square bar of a screwdriver is sufficient and you don't need to exert much force, if you do there's something wrong.

miamichris

Stop buying tools and fixing sh***y fords John, get that 205 on the road! :unsure:

Back on topic, I just use a big screwdriver.

pugpete1108

i bought this :

clicky

when doing some rover brakes as they wind in, but slaso use it on the 205 and tbh pretty much any other car i have done and it seems to work a treat. you just have to be careful you dont get it stuck in the piston hollow.

Henry Yorke

I have a Sykes Pikavant one with just one attatchment and I have always found it fits everything. Alfa, BMW, Peugeot. You can usually wiggle the two pins to get them to wind in the rear calipers anyway

blessed6383

never really found the need for one and worked in garages for 10 years on and off fin winding them in with either abig screw driver (as said above) or pair of grips

supersub14
Stop buying tools and fixing sh***y fords John, get that 205 on the road! :o

Well you'll be happy to hear i ordered a set of compensators for the pug yesterday :D Thought i might as well do it now or they'll never get bought lol.

Plan is sell the twincam, drive the sierra this winter, and then bring the 205 out next summer :lol: Well thats the plan.... Ive a notion of using the money from the twincam to buy either a cossie, M3 or scooby so the 205 might yet not see the sun lol.

Hows the XS keeping??

Back to topic - yeah ive always been able to wind the pistons in ok with g-clamps / screwdrivers etc. Just thought them kits were handy but dunno if im wanting to spend £30 on one lol. Thanks for the info everyone B)