• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
qwertyuiop7

Rear Dampers, What's Best For A Fun Daily Drive

qwertyuiop7

Just about to fit a freshly re-built rear beam (thanks Tom) to my 1.9 205.

Last MOT they garage suggested some new dampers were due soon, so im going to fit some with the new beam.

The car is totally standard, not used for any track work, just as a hugely entertaining daily drive and the odd mad sunday morning blat.

Which dampers do i fit??

Original Peugeot ones from the dealer? 5206K6 on now but only 5206te available from my local dealer are they the same??

Read on here that the motor factor replacement Bilstien 'Black" ones are sh!te, i guess these are the ones??

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Peugeot_...86a7d1&SHKA

The yellow ones are mad money so not an option

The GTi 6 ones get a few mentions, are they any good with std 205 GTi setup? If so which ones? genuine ones from the dealer or will ones from GSF, Eurocarparts be ok? any make better than the rest? (after a quick look the Bilstien part numbers appear to be BNE 1931 but i also recall reading that the 205 gti ones are also BNE 1931 are they the same and therefore both sh!te!!! )

What shall i get ????

Thanks

Phil

Edited by qwertyuiop7

welshpug

bilstein black aren't s*ite any longer as long as they are not old stock skinny bodies, I have seen some under the same number with much larger bodies and the car handled very well.

if they look like the picture you dont want them.

the proper version is listed here at £38 -

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Peugeot_...8809b0&SHKA

but at that price you might as well go to Peugeot for them, 5206 K6 have been superseded be TE (these were listed for the 1.9 205 as well as the gti6 and rallye) I can't comment on the spec of the 5206 TE dampers, but they should be fine.

Tom Fenton

Phil, I can highly recommend a set of the 5206TE Peugeot dampers, I fitted a pair of these to a customers car a couple of weeks ago, along with Bilstein B4 and Eibach springs up front, and was very impressed with the whole package as a sensibly uprated, but not overly harsh setup for a road car.

jord294

i've got a very good pair of the gti 6 rear shocks for sale (was going to fit them to a rebuilt beam)

they are an excellent upgrade for the 205 gti ;)

Stevo309
i've got a very good pair of the gti 6 rear shocks for sale (was going to fit them to a rebuilt beam)

they are an excellent upgrade for the 205 gti ;)

Doh! Just bought a pair from my local Peugeot dealer.

jord294
Doh! Just bought a pair from my local Peugeot dealer.

and you could of saved yourself £40 ;)

Stevo309

Just fitted a refurbished rear beam on my car thanks to Tom and the setup is as described above by Tom (although it's not my car he describes). I haven't tried the car yet with the new beam and gti-6 rear shocks but the front end with Bilstein B4's and Eibach springs seems spot on for the road use you describe (which is the same as i use my 205 for).

The 5206TE rear shocks were £45.60 + vat each from Peugeot last week. Don't buy new bolts unless you have to though believe it or not they charged me £13+vat for the 4 damper bolts and that wasn't including washers or nuts :P

I should be able to let you know what the whole thing is like in a couple of days!