• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Tom Fenton

Beam Setting Height

Tom Fenton

All the beams I've built in the last 4 or 5 years have been in various states of lowered ride height. I've been asked to set one to standard, and can't for the life of me remember what standard shock centres are for standard ride height!!

325mm rings a bell but if anyone can confirm that would be good.

I've searched and can't find it, so for future reference, something like 310-312mm is what I use for -45-ish, 315-316mm suits -30.

swordfish210

I think if you read MH's Sorrento rebuild he tries a few different shock heights to get the right standard height, not sure if that was on a 309 beam though.

Off Topic, how did you enjoy the delights of Chippenham?

smithy

Done mine today and gone for standard set up,according to Haines dummy shaft set at 330.5mm

welshpug

330 is what I've found the sport spec 306's to be and they use the same damper as the later 1.9 gti, but I haven't put a 205 together at this height (or remembered to record the height of a standard beam before dismantling sorry!)

I'd ask Anthony Alistair or Jord :)

jord294

tom,

i set the dummy shock at a measurement of 322mm for standard ride height on a 205 gti

no ones ever come back to me saying it's too high/low

i've got a chart i've made in my garage showing all the different ride height possibilities :)

Anthony

Yup, 322mm for a standard 205 GTi beam (19mm bars) in my experience

The 330mm height mentioned in the Haynes Manual I suspect refers to base model beams with thinner torsion bars and a slightly higher (I believe) ride height compared to GTi's. Certainly 330mm on a GTi beam would look somewhat daft on a standard road car!

smithy
Yup, 322mm for a standard 205 GTi beam (19mm bars) in my experience

The 330mm height mentioned in the Haynes Manual I suspect refers to base model beams with thinner torsion bars and a slightly higher (I believe) ride height compared to GTi's. Certainly 330mm on a GTi beam would look somewhat daft on a standard road car!

maybe the haynes is incorrect but the one i have says 330.5 for xu5 and xu9 engines and the 336 or 340mm for other engines like xvw etc

Tom Fenton
maybe the haynes is incorrect

Yes the Haynes is incorrect.

smithy
Yes the Haynes is incorrect.

glad i read this thread before boxing up the rear end fully looks like i need to drop it down to 322mm then,fooking haynes should have asked on here first.

at least i know the bars will pop out easy.

smithy

right beam corrected to 322mm as per tom and anthony cheers guys you saved me a load of messing around should i have boxed it up fully.

moral of the story use the haynes as a guide but do not take the measurements etc as gospal instead search on here or ask the question.

de Noir
I think if you read MH's Sorrento rebuild he tries a few different shock heights to get the right standard height, not sure if that was on a 309 beam though.

Off Topic, how did you enjoy the delights of Chippenham?

Cheers

I've read all topics covering this issue, and found out that no measure given suits my rear beam setup.

This being a 309GTI16 rear beam with 20mm TBs and 21mm ARB

Tried many dummy shock measures, and finally settled with 318mm.

This measure blends nicely with (almost) std front ride height (std 205GTI front springs on 309 wishbones):

_P9150257R.jpg