• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Stevo309

Which Rear Hubs?

Stevo309

In the process of changing the rear beam on my 205 1.9 gti at the moment for a fully rebuilt one. I need to change over the calliper brackets and hubs though. Have managed to push the stub axles out which kept one hub intact but despite using this technique the other one fell apart leaving the inner race on the shaft.

I have read that these can be cleaned up though and reused but the old ones were very dry and the grease hard and black, the bearings don't look pitted but the hub that stayed intact didn't appear to spin smoothly on the car, looked ever so slightly buckled. Anyway my question is do you think I should re-grease these or foot the cost and buy new bearings/hubs? If I buy new where is best to get them? Gsf list them at 32.50 each which seems fair but are they sh*te from there or ok? Presumably Peugeot want a kidney?

Stevo309

Right, managed to get the beam on so now just need to put the hubs, callipers etc back on. Having looked closer at the bearings there is some pitting on the inner races so probably best to replace them.

Does anyone have recommendations for replacement bearings/hubs. GSF ones any good?

Tom Fenton

Any I've previously used have been much of a muchness, have a ring round and see what you can get hold of price wise.

Stevo309

Thanks Tom will do.

Also, just wanted to say a massive thanks to yourself Tom for supplying this rebuilt beam. It looks amazing and exceeded my expectations in terms of finish. Your work is top notch so i have no doubt it will never need changing again!

post-16613-1285577693_thumb.jpg

Just can't wait now to drive the car, will order some hubs/bearings and get it finished this week :)

Miles

Don;t use GSF one's, They are very low quality made by V tech.

I hate to say this as I;ve used GSF for years but there current product range has meant me going else where

Stevo309

Thanks Miles close call! I ordered a pair from gsf but only one turned up, it was v tech and it did look low quality so I won't bother going back to collect them. Can you suggest a decent alternative please?

welshpug

Have a look at Motaquip or ECP?

Otherwise most motorfactors can get hold of the likes of SKF etc.

Miles

Motaquip ones come from Poland I think, the 306 ones I ordered did anyway and seem OK so far, But I would tend to look for SKF as WP has said I would think most bearing suppliers can supply them but would need a part number

Stevo309

Thanks guys. The OEM ones off the car are SKF but these have proved hard to find so i ordered SNR from Eurocarparts. They've already taken a few days though as apparently the website showed in stock but they weren't. Drives me mad when you order in the belief that something will take a day or 2 and it doesn't.

I read somewhere that SNR and also used as OEM parts so hopefully the quality will be ok.