• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
SurGie

Replacing The Rear Bump Stops,

SurGie

Hi member's,

While i was under the rear of the car about to start the grinding and de-rusting and preparing the sill for welding, i noticed my bump stops need replacing, take a look here >

th_205buildpics009.jpg

Can someone give me some tips with regards to removing these and refitting the new ones securely, they are both in the same state ?

Cheers.

Simes
Hi member's,

While i was under the rear of the car about to start the grinding and de-rusting and preparing the sill for welding, i noticed my bump stops need replacing, take a look here >

th_205buildpics009.jpg

Can someone give me some tips with regards to removing these and refitting the new ones securely, they are both in the same state ?

Cheers.

Tap the rusty disc (remainder of the cup) carefully anticlockwise with a chisel - it should loosen up and you'll be able to twist it off.

Paul_13

Give it loads of WD40 or similar, and do the above ^ or a pair of stilsons will do.

If that fails and the thread is fudged, buy some powerflex bushes and mastik them to the trailing arms where the bumpstop would usually bump.

jord294

looks nasty that

bump stop cups are actually bolted with an m8 x 20 bolt. then the rubber bumpstop is just pushed into the cup

i'd advise hammering in a 12mm (or smaller) 12 point socket on, to try and undo what's left of the bolt

i've done many of these with ease in the past.

at the risk of snapping the bolt, my only answer then, is to remove the beam for more acces to drill out

jason7579
Tap the rusty disc (remainder of the cup) carefully anticlockwise with a chisel - it should loosen up and you'll be able to twist it off.

Mine were in a very similar state to yours and this is the only way I could remove them. Although it was a bit more than a tap that was needed.

Paul_13

p1000005r.th.jpg

Like this if all else fails, my thread is fubared in the body which holds cup.

welshpug

Time-sert the thread if needs be :lol:

SurGie

Thanks guys for the useful tips on removing these, I'll take my time with them and soak them well with anti seize spray before removing them because i really dont want to ruin the thread.

WP, what do you mean by time sert the thread ?

Oh and on my 98 gti6 66k ones look brand new and the car is only 6 years younger than the 205 :( .

Edited by SurGie

CosKev

If they do snap I would use a self tapper through the metal cup into the car body ;)