• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
skinner2k3

Rear Brake Pads

skinner2k3

Looking to freshen up the rear brakes on my track car as they don’t seem to be doing anything. No sign of locking the rears even with no bias valve ( I do have one buts its set to zero restriction).

For the pads I cant decide if I really need to go for something as good as Ferrodo or Mintex, some cheap motor factor jobbies or somewhere in between ie standard pug.

Don’t really want a pad I need to get much heat into being on the rear.

I am impressed with the Ferrodo DS2500 I have on the front.....but £60!?

Any suggestions?

Anthony

I've always found that Ferodo Premier pads (OE replacements basically) are more than upto the job on the back of a typical 205 fast-road/track car, and they're cheap as chips - £11 a set from memory on Halfords Trade and probably similar from motorfactors. I run them with DS2500's on the front.

Worth checking that the sliders move freely and the piston winds in and out easily on the calipers, as faults on either will reduce the effectiveness of the rear brakes.

skinner2k3

Brilliant, I will have a ring round and find a distributor, I dont know anyone with a trade card for Halfords.

Cheers

Edited by skinner2k3

Rippthrough

1144's are fairly cheap from rally design if you want something with more bite.

Tom Fenton

I've always used standard rear pads on tarmac cars. Without the standard compensators there you should be able to lock a rear wheel if you brake hard enough so something isn't quite right.

The only thing I've ever fitted uprated pads to is a gravel rally car as the rear brakes are worked hard with left foot braking a lot.

skinner2k3

Rally design is actually the cheapest I have seen delivered for M1144, thanks for that. Still over £40, just.

Struggling to find anywhere local I can pick up some Ferodo Premier pads. Might have to be halfords!

skinner2k3
I've always used standard rear pads on tarmac cars. Without the standard compensators there you should be able to lock a rear wheel if you brake hard enough so something isn't quite right.

The only thing I've ever fitted uprated pads to is a gravel rally car as the rear brakes are worked hard with left foot braking a lot.

Yeah, I am fairly sure something is wrong somewhere there. After two track sessions at Combe and a half day at Keevil there is still some surface rust on the discs!!! They are a bit pitted though so perhaps that why the rust is still visable. They are going in the bin too, new discs should be here tomorrow.

I will strip the sliders down and clean/grease everything.

welshpug

check that you are 100% on which way you are meant to turn the knob on the bias valve, I've done that before :lol:

turned it fully anti clockwise as you would with a tap, no rear brakes ;)

skinner2k3

Ha yeah I checked that a few times as I wasnt sure myself. Fully screwed in (clockwise) is no restriction, fully out for output=1/3 input.

Matt Holley

I've got a halfords trade card if you are ever in Chippenham.

Edited by matt holley

skinner2k3

Cheers Matt, next time you are going over let me know if you don't mind, I will pm you my mobile number.

Tom Fenton

Getting a trade card is easy, all you need to do is spend £2.50 on 500 cards from Vista Print, then go to Halfords in your overalls and say you have just set up as a mobile mechanic.

oli-pug

You don't even need to do that from my experience. All I did was whack a few parts receipts on the counter!

Paul_13

Or have someone who works there who has a 205 and bribe him with some parts. What I did :lol:

Manager asks me for my mechanic qualification documents everytime I go in, he's clocked on but I tell him to Foxtrot Oscar

skinner2k3

Just to close this out, in the end I just bought Unipart pads from partco to check it was the pads at fault. I gave up with Halfords when the store I visited (Trowbridge) had a pathetic "range" of pads in stock (literally 3!) and I got a typical mong response when I enquired with the chimp on the desk.

Anywho....I fitted the pads this morning along with some new discs and took the car for a drive. I had the bias valve fully screwed in so doing nothing and I can now easily lock the rears, took a turn and a half of the valve before the rears stopped locking on reasonably hard breaking from 60ish. Sorted.

Cheers

Edited by skinner2k3