• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mojo1997

Ph Topic/story On A Driver That Got Sent To Prison

happygoron

Along with flemkes mclaren thread one of the most famous topics on pistonheads and a must read for annyone that likes to go for a "hoon". Very sobering read that really brings home the fact that actions will always have consequences, even if unintended. His prison blog is harrowing.

mojo1997
Along with flemkes mclaren thread one of the most famous topics on pistonheads and a must read for annyone that likes to go for a "hoon". Very sobering read that really brings home the fact that actions will always have consequences, even if unintended. His prison blog is harrowing.

Started reading it late last night and couldn't stop reading.......

Anthony

Yup, a definite must-read.

Certainly made me think, particularly of the way that other road users might view your driving and how that could come back to bite you later, as it did in his case when the couple that he overtook apparently safety gave a statement that he was speeding and driving recklessly...

Baz

Yup.

The blog is here.

maturin23

Very sobering stuff.

He actually posted on PH yesterday that he's now split with his wife as a direct result of the stress place on the relationship by all the events of the last few years.

There for for the grace of God go all of us.

skinner2k3

Not seen that before.

Having binned my 205 on a roundabout going back a few years, that is really sobering reading. I always knew I had been very lucky and have not driven the same since, but that really brings it home. I remember being sideways on the wrong side of the road with a car approaching, there was also a chap walking his dog who had it been a matter of seconds earlier would have been stood in my path. That whole scenario (or worse) could have been me!

Agree, everyone should read that.

Andy_C

Spent several hours reading that today; possibly the most thought provoking thread I've ever read.

mickie

i gave up on 3 hours

ORB

I drive the road where this happened often (assuming it is the guy from cumbria who crashed his Subaru) and it is well known as almost being a hill climb that is not actually a hill climb (due to it actually being a public road)

I have seen some absoloute MENTAL driving on here more than enough times.

mojo1997
I drive the road where this happened often (assuming it is the guy from cumbria who crashed his Subaru) and it is well known as almost being a hill climb that is not actually a hill climb (due to it actually being a public road)

I have seen some absoloute MENTAL driving on here more than enough times.

this guy was driving an integra....

gavbrum

Should be a reminder to all of the consequences of stupid driving. We all like to push it a bit from time to time, floor it on a long straight, take a couple of fast bends here and there. But lets face facts, we are all mostly average drivers with average abilities and should't delude ourselves by thinking otherwise. It's when you start thinking you are a really good driver that you end up pushing too hard and something will inevitably go wrong.

The posts I think highlight the real world consequences for everyone for a bit of fun and fantasy.

AJA_GTi

Yikes - very sobering stuff. I think driving has got better than it used to be in terms of antisocial behaviour though (not refering to this guy but in general)

I remember 2 cars racing down my local high street one night that were going so fast you couldnt even tell what cars they were! :lol:

I think having kids changes your view on stuff like this as the next car to pull out of a junction could be your missus and children.

There is a complete d*ck end in Crewe who drives an astra beritone or whatever they are called and wheelspins and speeds round town constantly. Needless to say someone has keyed it to the metal from one end to the other. I'm not an advocate of vandalism especially on vehicles but this pillock deserves it.

Rob Thomson

It is all very sobering and certainly makes you think, but shouldn't the motorcyclist have been riding at a speed that allowed him to stop in the distance he could see to be clear...? Anything can be on the road round a blind corner; a broken down car, a horse, a drunkard having a little snooze, but the motorcyclist was blatantly riding far faster than he should have been. Ok, so the car driver was obviously driving like a plank, but I think it's grossly unfair to pin all the blame on him, but that's easier and more politically beneficial than blaming someone who's seriously injured.

brumster

I must admit, Rob, I was thinking a similar thing. Being a bike rider myself.

The bike rider's speed was estimated as between "30 and 60mph" - quite a wide variation.

Then again, if we approached each blind corner with the thought that a brick wall might be the other side of it, we'd never get anywhere ;-)

I read it with great interest but I can't help but think they made an example out of him. Awful set of circumstances... a real shame for both the guys affected, particularly the rider.

danpug

I did think that too. Wonder what would have happened if it'd just been a broken down car the biker hit?

notamondayfan
I did think that too. Wonder what would have happened if it'd just been a broken down car the biker hit?

Breaking down and driving dangerously so that your car is on the other side of the road on a blind corner are hardly comparable. And plus if the car was stationary, the impact speed would be significantly less too.

Baz
Breaking down and driving dangerously so that your car is on the other side of the road on a blind corner are hardly comparable. And plus if the car was stationary, the impact speed would be significantly less too.

It could happen, imagine going round a bend in a 205 and then the tachy relay quits...

It'd be unexpected LOOS = loss of control etc etc, so exactly the same.

mfield

I doubt very much it was the actual accident i.e stuck in the road on a blind bend that resulted in his conviction, Having a small ammount of common sense i'd say it was the events leading up to it, the witness statements and evidence that were ultimately his undoing ?

danpug

I thought the car was stationary or did i miss that bit??

Edit: Just re-read it and the car still slowly moving. Somebody on the motorcyclists side of the road could still break down though with the exact same result.

Edited by danpug

mojo1997

you can come to your own conclusion after reading about the events that took place. I'm of the opinion that yes the biker may have also been going quickly, but the car was out of control and on the wrong side of the road. I bet the car was still moving some at the time of impact.

Toddy

There has been a thread before about this, but I can't locate it.

Basically from memory he was on a run with CTR's & ITR's, he decided to split from the main group and form a smaller group due to the poor driving standards of others earlier in the day.

He lost the back end on a corner and kept his foot in hoping to pull the car out of the slide, unfortunately while he was broadside a biker coming the other way had no escape path and hit the car and landed some distance down the road.

Five minutes earlier the ITR group had overtaken some sunday drivers who ended up being witnesses for the prosecution regarding his driving style.

Also the police report stated that he may have been attempting to powerslide the car on the corner.

Accidents do happen but today you are responsible for the consequences of your actions.

welshpug

said to have been trying to powerslide an integra, whatever next ;)

don't they know they're FWD!?

Edited by welshpug

Tesstuff
said to have been trying to powerslide an integra, whatever next ;)

don't they know they're FWD!?

It was the type of FWD 'powerslide' seen most weeks in the BTCC, true drivers knew what he meant :lol:

An example of this was Jason Plato at Brands

Edited by Tesstuff

grantley1988

Quite a read that! Very sobering. I would like to see the stuff he wrote on forums before the accident. When i had my type r and on the civic forum, i seem to remember his username from there from a post on him speeding and driving to fast...