• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
allye

Brakes On The Rallye, How Big!?

allye

I'm starting the GTI6 rebuild very soon, well actually starting to take it apart today. I currently have a 1.9gti brake set up on the front, I understand these are actually rather good brakes, with a half decent m/s and some good pads will these be ok (safe!) to cope with the GTI6?

I'm half considering getting some tasty compomotives TH's to fit some GTI6 brakes under as the 106 Rallye steels can only accomodate the 205 GTI brakes.

Cheers, Ali

pug_ham

What size 106 rallye wheels?

If they are the phase 2 6 x 14" then you can get the 266mm brakes under them afaik.

Graham.

Cameron

Depends what you want from it I guess.. the 1.9 GTI brakes are really capable with decent pads i.e. Mintex of Ferodo. If you're thinking about a heavy bias towards track driving then you may want to go for something a bit bigger, but be aware that the GTi6 brakes are heavier!

Batfink

get some CL Brakes pads and simply you cannot overheat them...

welshpug

beware if you like the finish on your wheels, RC6 brake dust eats wheels.

echo the comments thaty a well looked after 1.9 setup is perfectly adequate with good pads.

if used on track regularly it may be worth looking at ducting air to them, I think Tom Fenton and Swordfish have done this.

Batfink
beware if you like the finish on your wheels, RC6 brake dust eats wheels.

echo the comments thaty a well looked after 1.9 setup is perfectly adequate with good pads.

if used on track regularly it may be worth looking at ducting air to them, I think Tom Fenton and Swordfish have done this.

RC6 being the pure race pad would never be my first choice.

RC5+ and RC6E are far better in that respect.

allye

Thanks for your replys, I have the S2 Rallye steel wheels, so will the GTI6 brakes fit under these!? Its only going to be used for a fun road car (B road blaster!) So no bigger than GTI6 brakes would be required.

Ali

(PS got the engine out this afternoon!)

Anulfo
What size 106 rallye wheels?

If they are the phase 2 6 x 14" then you can get the 266mm brakes under them afaik.

Graham.

So can these 14inch rims be fitted over GTi 6 caliper set up? Im currently running GTi 6 calipers with standard 1.9GTi rims and there isn't that much clearance at all so just wondering what the smallest rims i can get away with are?

pugpete1108

i dunno if i am talking out of my anus here but if gti6 brakes are the same as 307 hdi ones (both 282mm disks?) then i would say not under a 14inch wheel.

i have 307 ones under my smr's and the gap between the calliper and the inner wheel is tiny

Edited by pugpete1108

welshpug

no, the largest you can fit under them is a 266mm caliper, or the 270mm cup brake setup from AP with cup hubs IIRC.