• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jord294

Rear Beam Outer Bearings

jord294

hi guys

has anyone who has bought 5132.49 outer bearings, noticed that they are not as wide as they used to be ^_^

i'm building 4 beams for a customer, and he's sent all the parts i need, but i have noticed the width is now 22mm, instead of 24mm

(22mm bearing comes in the 306 kit 5132.62 aswell)

my only option, is to centralise the bearing in it's recess in the tube

peoples thoughts ??????

pug_ham

Are these the same ones as mentioned a while ago by Anthony that have fewer & smaller roller bearings in?

Maybe he just got unlucky & the dealer got some of the rubbish ones but if the rollers are the wider version I wouldn't be to concerned.

Graham.

jord294

it's just the width that is different, not the quantity of needles

Cazzo

I'm picking a set up from Peugeot in the morning,

I'll check them and let you know what one's I get, (ordered 5132.49)

You've got me worried now :)

Had you any bother getting the Crossmember seal (anti roll bar lever) 5174 03,

I've been told they are on back order and not due in untill the 4th of Oct!!!

jord294

i'm not sure if 5174.03 will ever turn up :D

i've had 12 on order for over a year now. although my local dealer did find another dealer, who had 4 on the shelf

ggone up in price too. just over £7 each :)

Anthony

I think you've got muddled up - 517403 is the foam seal that sits between the ARB endplate and the trailing arm, which are 91p each and were certainly freely available last month when I bought some.

And yes, IMO atleast this must be replaced as part of any rebuilt as it helps prevent moisture from getting into the beam, and moisture is probably the main thing that kills them. You only need to remove the ARB to replace them, so worst case scenario is that you could do it at a later point with the beam still on the car - but definitely do replace them.

Tom Fenton

I run a dab of RTV silicone around these foam seals to help keep the moisture and cr@p out of the beam.

jord294

ah yes :D

thanks for the correction anthony.

it's 5172.24 which has been on back order

tom, anthony, have you not noticed the different width in bearing

it doesn't bother me, as i still have loads of sets bought off jimi, and they have the 24mm wide bearing

Ryan
it's 5172.24 which has been on back order

5172.24 can probably be substituted with the equivalent 306 seal.

jord294
5172.24 can probably be substituted with the equivalent 306 seal.

sorry, but no

a.r.b end plates on 306s are of a larger diameter, thus having a lot thinner black rubber bush

Anthony
tom, anthony, have you not noticed the different width in bearing

I haven't, but I've not bought any from Peugeot since they started supplying the poor quality pattern bearings, and instead am using the remainder of the bearings that I bought from Jimi a while back which as you know are fine <_<

Tom Fenton

I've also got a decent stock of bearings in, not bought any for some time.

Cazzo

Sorry Lads I got the partNo wrong, 2nd on my list was not the same as 2nd on a list the fella in parts had lol

Indeed it is 5172 24 Anti roll bar bearing bush that is on back order and due in on the 4thOct (hopefully)

The outer bearings I got are 22mm with 45pins, I'm not so sure I want to use them now,

Is there anywhere that still does the other bearings?

welshpug

Personally I wouldn't be too worried, the originals lasted about ten years or so till they were scrap, I can't see these "inferior" ones lasting dramatically less, for the cost of them just change them after 4-5 years.

Anthony

I wouldn't worry too much about a fractionally narrower bearing - it's the rubbish low-spec bearings with only 30 rollers that are really an issue and should be avoided wherever possible as they will and do fail prematurely.

blessed6383

with this all being said im slighty concerned now as i was going to buy one of the complete rebuild kits off ebay i think are £77 or similar are these ok to use or should i be buying from pug direct? the beam will probably be changed in year or 2 for a 309 beam but rebuilding the 1900 beam for now so should i be concerned? cheers

Ryan

The kits on ebay are just pug parts with some markup added. Many of them don't come with all the parts either.

welshpug

you hardly need all the parts anyway, I just use the kits from Jimi or direct from peugeot as well as the Yellow seals.

blessed6383

i dont think jimi had any left when i PMd him so the ebay ones will be ok? it was only the outer bearigs that were fubar'd but going to change the inners and seals aswell while its off

welshpug

just get them from peugeot, under £40 for wat you need.

if your outer bearings wer fubar I'd say that the arm shats will be as well.

Anthony

Complete false economy not to replace the inner bearings and, particularly, the seals whilst it's apart - the later is what normally fail, letting water into the beam which washes away the grease and ruins the bearings (which then disintegrate and destroy the shaft and eventually tube)

Do a job right - do it once and all that.

blessed6383

cheers guy, yer WP he shafts were shagged so alistair kindly sold and fitted me some the other week.

was also considering fitting grease nipples whilst its apart but any ideas how to stop the swaf getting stuck in the tube and knackering the new bearings?

anyone know what pug charge for a complete rebuild kit? ie bearings and seals and the end screws and washers?

Cazzo
anyone know what pug charge for a complete rebuild kit? ie bearings and seals and the end screws and washers?

I got all the bits from Peugeot yesterday and the total was £114.09

Nuts ,washers and a few other bits came in bags of 10/20, they wont split a bag so you have to take the lot,

I have another beam to build so they wont go to waste lol

---------------------------------------------------------------- £

5174 03 Crossmember seal (anti roll bar lever)x5.........4.10

5132 49 External bearingX2.......................................16.27

5131 45 Internal bearingX2.......................................15.68

5154 05 PlugX5........................................................15.39

5154 08 Suspension arm sealX2..................................8.84

5154 09 CupX5..........................................................5.27

5154 10 External seal (suspension arm seal holder)X4...6.08

5153 12 Suspension bar washerX10.............................5.67

5153 11 Crossmember screwX10.................................5.31

5153 10 Suspension bar studX4..................................10.80

6962 66 Spring washerX20...........................................3.60

6932 38 Hexagonal nutX10...........................................5.49

Above prices are plus VAT

Edited by Cazzo

Alastairh

Personally i wouldn't bother with the grease nipples. If you grease the bearings/shafts well when assembling, that will be fine for another 5-10 years.

I measured the few sets of bearings i have in stock from my local supplier. They are all 24mm wide.

Al

Edited by Alastairh

Ryan
Nuts ,washers and a few other bits came in bags of 10/20, they wont split a bag so you have to take the lot,

That varies from dealer to dealer. I've never been told I had to buy a whole bag of something - including most of the items on that list.