• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Anthony

306 Hdi Fuel Pump Relay Wiring Connector

Anthony

Does anyone know if you can buy the 15 pin wiring connector used on 306/406 HDi fuel pump relays seperately at all? It's a brown double-relay, similar (but not identical) to those used on GTi-6's and other late 90's petrol models.

The one on my 306 has been tempremental for years judging from the history that I got with the car, with a few breakdowns and replacement relays listed. I worked out the problem pretty quickly with it when it died on me last year in that at some point its drawn too much current and burnt one of the contacts in the plug, which in turn causes a poor connection which creates heat and progressively gets worse until it either won't start because the connection is so bad, or gets hot enough to cause the pin to fail on the relay.

Anyway, I really need to fix this properly once and for all. Normally it would just be a case of replacing the individual pin, but Peugeot used sealed connectors on 306's which stops you being able to do that and thus I'm going to have to replace the whole connector.

Does anyone know where you can buy these connectors? Servicebox isn't being particularly helpful and I can't obviously see one on the RS website althought it's potentially buried in there somewhere.

Other options are to just hack a connector and length of wire off a car in the scrappy and then join it onto my loom, or to rewire it to take a couple of standard green 4-pin relays, but I'd much rather do it properly with a new connector if at all possible.

pug_ham

No idea where or if these are available but I'm sure they will be somewhere, didn't you chop one out of the MM8P loom you did for Baz last week?

I've got a couple of looms around I'll check for a part number later which might help.

Graham.

Anthony
didn't you chop one out of the MM8P loom you did for Baz last week?

I did (and since binned it ^_^) but since the relay is wired differently on the XU petrol compared to the DW diesels, I'd rather use one from a diesel in the first place so that the wiring ties up with what I've got on the car.

welshpug

I will see if I still have the PDF's of the connectors on my computer at home, I have managed to dig out the sealant from most of the plugs I've come across.

bar the earlier sockets with a metal clip I thought the later ones with the slide lock were not sealed? (rubber boot iirc?)

I know it used to be a brown relay earlier then black with the later socket design but the relay itself is the same.

pug_ham

Unlucky but I though the MM8P plug was also rubber backed so you could alter the wiring to suit the DW diesel relay as a last resort.

I've got a full engine bay loom for a later 306 hdi so I'll check that loom for the plug number but the GTI-6 loom I have here doesn't have a number visable.^_^.

It does say AMP on & that brought up some results on google for AMP automotive connectors.

Graham.

welshpug

Might be Bitron I think as all the relays are Bitron.

pug_ham

I've just chanced upon the page I tink you need (& part number) in Service box Anthony.

Log in & select the car model (306 new, 3 door, 2.0 hdi 90) & when you get to the main parts page on the lhs there is a list of otherpages available.

Miscellaneous

Products for professionals

Standard hardware and connector catalogue

Handbook pack

This opens into a new window, select the standard connection & the double relay connectors are on the top of the page (see attached for one).

Hope thats some help.

Graham.

65w11b.pdf

welshpug

that's the bugger, I'd lost a load of files recently, that must have been one of them :)

is there a second page showing the terminals?

Anthony

Brilliant Graham, you're a star :(

However, anyone want to guess the price?

Nope, higher than that.

Higher still.

Nope, even higher than that. 6542YE (which is the one that I think I need) is an almost laughable £101.09 :)

Alastairh

Is the section of the loom not removable? Aka off a scrappy car, so no splicing etc.

Al

Anthony
Is the section of the loom not removable? Aka off a scrappy car, so no splicing etc.

Nope, unfortunately not, atleast not from what I can see - wiring has no breaks that I can see, and as mentioned earlier, the connector itself is one of the sealed type so you can't easily remove the wires/pins from it like you can on the earlier unsealed type used on 205's etc.

Cutting and splicing isn't my prefered way of doing it, but I'm sure as hell not paying £100+ for a new connector and I know that my wiring skills are more than sufficient to do a decent, reliable and safe job joining the two sections of loom. After all, looking at it another way, that's how just about every 16v conversion wiring loom is done and one made by someone half-competent works fine for many years :D

Alastairh

Yeah, if you take your time I'm sure you can make a good job of it. I had to move an exhaust system on a 80k mog this morning and had to splice it, so I wouldn't worry too much about it!

Al

welshpug

its how most pug wiring looms are put together so it woulndt bother me if done properly :D

ablister

anthony, i had loads of these connectors. They were used on a 307 recall for the abs ecu. Basically you had to wire in a twin relay (a la 306 fuel pump relay) using a loom and relay. Anyway, i had loads of these connectors ready to be wired in togehter with loads of brand new double relays but feeling they've been binned as didn't think they'd be useful... will have another dig around

But, if you go to a scrappy then check 307's. The relay will be attached to outside of bm34 (engine bay fuse box) which is to the right behind ns headlight together with loom. Same applies if you ever need a bitron double relay