• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ponz

Bilstein Group N Tarmac For Road Use?

ponz

Going for new suspension on my 1993 Peugeot 205si.

Eibach springs seem to be the way to go. Should I go for Pro-Kit 30mm or Sportline 40mm?

And is anyone out there running a Bilstein Group N Tarmac Damper Kit for road use? Was wondering would these shortened dampers be way to harsh for non-track use?

bilstein-group-n-peugeot-205.jpg

These are the ones I mean:

http://www.kamracing.co.uk/index.php/peuge...eugeot-205.html

Otherwise, guess my other option is Bilstein B6.

Jrod

This is an awesome setup imo. :)

I used this on my rallye and have just got the rears again for my GTI, just waiting for the fronts to come back in stock again and I'll be ordering them aswell.

It's a fairly stiff setup and at low speed you really do feel the bumps. The faster you go the more it seems to smooth out though.

ponz

Ok, so that's +1 positive review, thanks for that!

May I ask what springs you were using? And if they were Eibach, are they the 30mm or 50mm ones?

Anthony

I've got the Bilstein Challenge dampers on my 205, which AFAIK are the same as the Group N tarmac spec.

They're certainly alot firmer than standard with a significantly higher damping rate, but I think that they ride surprisingly well and certainly I had no issues when I used it as a daily-driver or driving over to the Nurburgring in it. Mine have got a set of Koni 20mm spring fitted to them, although previously I had some unknown 40mm springs fitted.

Alan_M

These the same as challenge spec dampers? If so, awesome setup. Can be crashy on the odd occasion but nowhere near as harsh as you'd expect.

Incidentally, mine are on Eibachs but I can't remember which of those two sets. I know one is most definately the wrong though.

RossD

Another vote for these, I have them front and rear and Eibach springs at the front. Very very nice setup. My car is used mainly on the road.

ponz

Ok, thanks everyone for your input. Seems they're ok for road use, so I'm definitely leaning towards the Bilstein Group N Challenge now.

The question remains however what springs to match them with. Should I go for Pro-Kit 30mm or Sportline 40-50mm? I noticed another thread on here saying that you can fit the 106 Eibach 50mm Sportline dampers on a 205 to good effect.

Jrod

50mm is too low imo.

andyjstone
50mm is too low imo.

I agree, I've got the Eibach 30mm and he Group Ns and it's a great set up

GLPoomobile

The Eibach -30mm springs are closer to -40mm, going by the ones I had. With those springs you'll have the wishbones sitting horizontal, so you certainly don't want to go any lower. Great springs though :D

ponz

30mm it is then! Thanks everyone for your comments. Reckon I am going to go down this road. I'll check back once it's done with my own observations. Might be a few months away while I save up though...

isis

I proprose to get these for my car, do any of you have 205 width front tyres? I am concerned about the bottom seat fouling with the wider tyres.

I also dont understand if these are fully adjustable or not- for rebound and compression, height etc. What is the next step for serious track use?

thanks

Isis

Batfink
I proprose to get these for my car, do any of you have 205 width front tyres? I am concerned about the bottom seat fouling with the wider tyres.

I also dont understand if these are fully adjustable or not- for rebound and compression, height etc. What is the next step for serious track use?

thanks

Isis

They are not adjustable in any way. They dont really need to be as they are spot on out the box..

Jackman

I also run them and am more than happy with the setup!

stefan

When talking about the Bilstein 'Group N' or 'Challenge', do you infact mean this:

B6 SPORT ?

or the MOTORSPORT series?

these are official code names from Bilstein

Edited by stefan

tomcolinjones

arent the b6 ones just uprated road use things that just gti's fit ALOT of?

i have 'group n'/'challenge spec' on my xs, with gravel springs, standard height, and they are a massive improvement over the standard gti setup i had on it, especially the rear. i havnt used the eibach springs on a pug, but i have the pro series ones on my leon, and i am happy wit them, i would use them on the 205 if i used it on the road, but i will be doing night events in it eventually lol!

stefan

OK, so, from Bilstein that would be the MOTORSPORT series, ie these:

[shopping basket] V36-0548 Shock AbsorberBILSTEIN - MOTORSPORTFitting Position Front Axle; Suspension Strut; Single Tube Upside Down; Top pin; 1 230,70 EUR/Piece

(excl. VAT)

[shopping basket] V36-0547 Shock AbsorberBILSTEIN - MOTORSPORTFitting Position Front Axle; Suspension Strut; Single Tube Upside Down; Top pin; 1 230,00 EUR/Piece

(excl. VAT)

[shopping basket] B46-1038

Because there are B4 (black) , B6 SPORT (yellow), and MOTORSPORT (also yellow)

Simes

To add that I've been running those Eibachs for over 7 years now (30mm) and combined with bilstein streetline front dampers have had no problems.

Have you considered the skip brown roadspeed dampers for the rear? They are essentially a revalved bilstein damper set up specifically for the 205. They were/are part of the skip brown suspension set up which back in the day was the best!

Anyway they are very similar to the group n shocks but with a touch more compromise towards comfort. They are still pretty hard though!

Edited by Simes

isis

The background of my car is that the GTZ 500 AVO's have bascially failed over time - sagged springs and possibly worn absorbers. But with the heavier mi16 turbo set up this is probably expected. The AVO's are quite narrow and the Bilsteins appear to have a wide bottom spring seat, so I hope the wide wheels would still allow them to be lowered as desired.

thanks for comment

Edited by isis

Batfink
OK, so, from Bilstein that would be the MOTORSPORT series, ie these:

[shopping basket] V36-0548 Shock AbsorberBILSTEIN - MOTORSPORTFitting Position Front Axle; Suspension Strut; Single Tube Upside Down; Top pin; 1 230,70 EUR/Piece

(excl. VAT)

[shopping basket] V36-0547 Shock AbsorberBILSTEIN - MOTORSPORTFitting Position Front Axle; Suspension Strut; Single Tube Upside Down; Top pin; 1 230,00 EUR/Piece

(excl. VAT)

[shopping basket] B46-1038

Because there are B4 (black) , B6 SPORT (yellow), and MOTORSPORT (also yellow)

Thats them.

The B4 dampers are OEM equivalent. So for replacing standard dampers only.

The B6 dampers are 30% uprated, full length monotube dampers with internal bumpstops.

The motorsport /challenge spec /group N are shortened shocks, uprated monotube dampers, the rears having a larger oil capacity so they dont overheat with heavy use.

I have a set of motorsport dampers in stock at KAM Racing at the moment, and for some reason loads of rears....

billybluesky

Add me too for the B6 fan club they transformed the handling when i replaced the original shocks, I use mine exclusively on the road too

ponz

I checked out your KAM Racing site. I still haven't pulled the trigger on new suspension (been concentrating on other areas of the car) but am now severely tempted by those AST Sportline coilovers you have...

Anyone actually fitted these to a 205?

Thats them.

The B4 dampers are OEM equivalent. So for replacing standard dampers only.

The B6 dampers are 30% uprated, full length monotube dampers with internal bumpstops.

The motorsport /challenge spec /group N are shortened shocks, uprated monotube dampers, the rears having a larger oil capacity so they dont overheat with heavy use.

I have a set of motorsport dampers in stock at KAM Racing at the moment, and for some reason loads of rears....

welshpug

I have them on my ZX, a mate has had them on a 306 Rallye, A Classic shape Subaru Turbo 2000, and now a Volvo V70 T5!

(to be fair he does know Curtis at AST :lol: )

Adam said that the ones on Jon Murgie's 205 track car were so much nicer damping wise than the PTS Group A Tarmac Bilsteins (not mentioned at all in this thread) which from the cars I've been in can well believe.

The ones I have on my ZX and Adam had on his 306 are near identical to the 205 units, just some slightly different damping.