• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
driversdomainuk

Toe Out?

driversdomainuk

Hi

Just having 309gti bottom arms fitted to my 205...I use it for hillclimbs, I am getting tracking done after. Before I do, what is best setup..?

I am thinking as the 309 arms gives 2 degrees of neg camber, shall they toe out 1 degree..?

thanks

Rob

AdamP

1 degree is far too much IMO. I would (and did) get it set to parallel and go from there.

Cameron

309 arms will give 1.5 degrees negative camber. :blink:

Toe out is a matter of driver preference, so there is no "best" set-up. I always set mine to 2mm out as it sharpens turn-in, you may find you prefer more, or you may hate the twitchy response it gives and want parallel or toe-in.

If you want to try toe-out, try setting it to 2mm at first and see how it goes.

AdamP

Cameron, how do you measure toe in mm? What does 2mm equate to?

welshpug

afaik they don't give anywhere near 2 degrees, unless you have small dia springs and adjustable top mounts.

what tyres do you use? as that will affect the camber and toe needed, though toe is more preference and surface usage dependent.

Can't be more specific though, my experience stops at road + standard engined rally cars!

DOH, took a while to post that, got distracted :blink:

Edited by welshpug

Cameron

I do my tracking in a string box so that means the front rim edge is 2mm further out from the car centreline than the rear rim edge. It equates to roughly 0.3 degrees on a 15" rim if my trig is correct.

Miles

It's pot luck what camber you get, I;ve had them with 309 arms fitted just showing .5 of camber and best 1 degree, one reason why I use Rose jointed ones now but you need to mod the steering rack to go over 2 degrees or you end up with no thread on the rod end

j_turnell

Give 10-15mins toe out a go and see how you find that, a degree is far to much and will make the car very twitchy and pointy at speed.

allanallen

I also run 1mm of toe out, it made my car pull much straighter under acceleration and it turns in nicer. You do however get the feeling that the front wheels are sort of fighting each other under hard/fast cornering if that makes sense?!

I personally hated the car with toe in and wasn't a fan of parallel either, it just wants to bounce you of either kerb under power on anything but smooth roads.

rescue dude

Young Mr Pinder advised me to have half a mil of toe in. Make sure it's set with you sat in the car.

I was running 309 arms and shafts and found that setting to be great on the hills but a little fidgety on the roads.