• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
TaffyTim

Moving Steering Wheel

TaffyTim

My steering wheel moves towards me then can be pushed back into place when driving.

Im presuming there is some retainer that has come loose, any ideas what I can tighten to get it secure again?

Ps

Its a non assisted det up

Edited by TaffyTim

welshpug

sounds like a loose pinch bolt on the column, there is one in the cabin and one in the engine bay.

TaffyTim

Ta muchly, will have a butches for thwse tomorrow

Ta muchly, will have a butches for thwse tomorrow

davev

either what welshpug said. or steering wheel bolt loose(though id quess itll be scary to drive if that came loose)

TaffyTim
either what welshpug said. or steering wheel bolt loose(though id quess itll be scary to drive if that came loose)

Ta dave, i'll check that too

Anthony

Or it's just a slightly worn upper column, which atleast one of my 205's has suffered from causing this symptom.

TaffyTim

Where abouts are these pinch bolts?

Stevo309

There's one inside the car and the other is in the engine bay where the column joins onto the rack. The one inside the car requires the cowel under the steering wheel to be removed which is easy enough and then you can see it. The one in the engine bay can be just about accessed from above reaching down or from underneath. I would check this one first by getting under there and getting someone else to move the wheel, if this one is loose it's a quick fix without removing the interior panel. Unlikely to be both i would imagine.

TaffyTim

Ok its not the one in the engine bay, I cant seem to see the one inside the cabin. Which part of the column should I be looking at?

TaffyTim

Ok, found it, that was the offending article. Thanks all I can put my foot down now without thinking that the wheel is going to come away in my hands :-)