• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Stevo309

Spare Wheel Type

Stevo309

Apologies if this is the wrong forum! I currently have a spare on my 1.9 gti that is a nasty rusty steel wheel and actually should use tapered seat bolts. I guess it would get me home but I'm lucky to have a spare set of 5 speedlines so my question is, should i install this under the car, or is it best as it used to be 20 years ago to keep it in the boot or get some sort of locking mechanism?

Are these still targeted by thieves? Can you still get a locking mechanism for the standard underboot spare wheel cradle?

Liquid_106

If you were to keep it under the car, I'd shrink wrap it with a bin liner or equivelent, should keep it in a better condition than just leaving it to the elements.

You could use something like this to keep it more secure.

Liquid_106
Apologies if this is the wrong forum! I currently have a spare on my 1.9 gti that is a nasty rusty steel wheel and actually should use tapered seat bolts. I guess it would get me home but I'm lucky to have a spare set of 5 speedlines so my question is, should i install this under the car, or is it best as it used to be 20 years ago to keep it in the boot or get some sort of locking mechanism?

Are these still targeted by thieves? Can you still get a locking mechanism for the standard underboot spare wheel cradle?

Saw this on eBay and reminded me of this thread - you still after one?

eBay Pic

Not sure if you can post eBay links here so item number is 150498985441