• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Obey_R

Rear Beam Mount Has Fallen Off

Obey_R

In the process of putting my rear beam back on so it can be traliored away for work, but the rear bush (?) has fallen off one of the mounts. I might not have the right terminology so please correct but this is a photo.

Is it still safe to put onto the car to get it moved? It will only be pushed not driven anywhere.

I was shocked because it looks like, even on the good side, it is only held on with two spots of rubber?

4989750518_cf9be54f5e.jpg

scotty

I would think its ok just to move the car, when i get any problems on the rear end of my 205 i always look at these first as they do snap a lot from what i have seen.

Ryan

It'll be safe to push around like that as you're not really putting any load on it.

The rubber is normally bonded to the metal plates, I think the two rubber spots are just left over from manufacturing.

Obey_R

Ah that makes a bit more sense. Well it's back on all four wheels now, the other side gave up as soon as it was under load, too - a new beam is on the list anyway! Now the weight of the car is on it, they stay pressed where they should be, but any bouncing and I can see them coming off quite easily!

Masekwm

How do the BBM replacements hold themselves to the beam, I've been meaning to change mine for ages!

Jrod
How do the BBM replacements hold themselves to the beam, I've been meaning to change mine for ages!

There is a stud from the bottom, same as how standard bolts on.

Masekwm

:( When I read this

The rubber is normally bonded to the metal plates

I thought it was glued to the beam!

Thanks!

Edited by Masekwm

Stevo309

You could probably push the car around without them even attached as the beam should still be attached at the front end? From the weight of the car the damper will push up against this mount but i certainly wouldn't drive it like this. You can replace with standard rubber mounts as you have here which are glued into a block or use Group A solid mounts from BBM etc that are actually a solid aluminium block with a stud sticking out of the top and the bottom.

Obey_R

I'll be getting a new beam made up soon anyway so will changed them then. Until now it should be okay to get onto the trailer... providing the work gets done this weekend that is.