• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
TT205

Glue For Gear Knob Top Bit

TT205

On my phase 1 the top of the gear knob has come off, there is a little foam underneath which feels rather perished - is it best to use an impact adhesive or something different. I presume superglue would dissolve the foam?

Cheers

Dave

JRL

Foam? just shove some glue in there youy may not even need super glue, and im sure it will be fine.

TT205

Cheers

TT205

Still haven't done this yet

Which do you reckon would be best - impact adhesive or epoxy

JRL

If you used silicone it wil bond but can be removed if you ever need to replace it. Personally id go to halfords and look at the glues they have lots of types pretty much any will do. I think I used this evo-stik before when securing a rear reflective panel its still on now and thats exterior.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...tegoryId_165691

Stevo309

I would avoid solvents and use an impact adhesive like eve stick. A silicon based glue would also work ok like the cooer glue from a glue gun.

pug_ham

The foam will have been the double sided sticky pad things that you used to get with mirror tiles etc but silicone sealant will do fine imo.

Clean all traces of the foam off & a blob of sealant instead, just like on the rear badges.

Graham.

MerlinGTI

I'd use a 2 part urathane (sp?) like upol 915. Silicone/evo stick etc.. Would do the trick tho I would of thought :lol:

TT205

Cheers guys - will get it sorted