• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chrisj21

1.6 Gti Hubs Using 1.9 Gti Wishbones.

chrisj21

There was a topic a while ago which i can't find at the minute regarding using 1.6 hubs with 1.9 wishbones.

Apart from the obvious driveshaft differences, what advantages or disadvantages are there for using 1.6 hubs on a 1.9 car?

Will it make a difference to the track? i assume so. Can anyone tell me the measurement differences between the two?

Thanks

Daviewonder

Do you mean 309 wish bones? as 1.9 wish bones are the same as 1.6 ones.

chrisj21

No i did mean 205 wishbones but didn't realise 1.9 where the same, thanks for pointing that out :lol: So it's just a difference in the hub then?

DrSarty

Yes (and as Anthony has said below brake differences too).

May I recommend having a look in here (expecially the first link) and doing a few downloads and coffee and biscuit 'reading up' sessions?

I mean this in a positive way, as a real good read shows you and anyone loads of stuff that's really useful, such as which bits are shared across models etc etc.

:lol:

Edited by DrSarty

Anthony

Hubs, brake disks and driveshafts

Basically, 1.6 GTi hubs are a different offset and give slightly wider front track, which is good, but limit choices for brake upgrades and mean that you have to run the weaker (in my experience atleast) 1.6 GTi driveshafts

chrisj21
Yes.

May I recommend having a look in here (expecially the first link) and doing a few downloads and coffee and biscuit 'reading up' sessions?

I mean this in a positive way, as a real good read shows you and anyone loads of stuff that's really useful, such as which bits are shared across models etc etc.

:lol:

Thanks Rich, will have a look through that when i've a spare hour or two.

Anthony, thanks, that's the answer i was looking for.

We will run wilwood calipers so no brake issues, just the small concern over the driveshaft strength.

chrisj21

Anthony ( or anyone) do you know the difference in offset between the 1.9 and 1.6 hubs?

Thanks

Anthony

It's something in the region of 10mm, but I don't know the exact figures.

welshpug

1.6 gti; Brake Disc Type: Internally Vented, Ø: 247 mm, Br. Disc Thickness: 20,5 mm, Height: 44,3mm

1.9 gti; Brake Disc Type: Internally Vented, Ø: 247 mm, Br. Disc Thickness: 20,4 mm, Height: 34,2mm

so 10.1mm, which is down to the hub flange, the carrier and bearing is the same as a base model :P