• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rich_p

Cutting Coilover Springs?

Rich_p

We all know cutting normal springs is a big no no.

Can the same be said for Coilover springs? My Coilovers are fully wound down but I still need another inch drop to get the suspension sitting correctly.

I'd rather not have to go to the expense of yet another pair of springs (I'm still experimenting with spring rates) so I was wondering if I can get away with removing a coil?

The end that has been cut will be sitting against a helper spring anyway so the other end will still be correctly located on the damper.

Is this do able would you think?

grantley1988

what about removing the helper spring? would be less drastic!

Ryan

There's actually nothing wrong with cutting springs provided you do it properly. Don't use a cutting torch because the heat will ruin the spring properties, and make sure you finish the cut ends so they sit in the spring cups correctly. There's a guide in an old issue of PPC I think.

blessed6383

i only thought this was a problem when the springs flared in at the tops and bottom due to dislocation may occur with standard shocks.

i had the springs cut properly by an engineering firm on both of my mercedes c class's and never had any problems, ok its not a 205 but still got driven hard at times and never had any problems in the 3 years i owned them and these were the same size all the way from top to bottom

B1ack_Mi16

New 2.25" coilover springs cost 18£ each from GAZ, then you can have the length and stiffness you like.

For that cost it's really not worth it starting cutting the coilover springs, I doubt it would be any good at all to do it also, as also the coilover springs have much less pitch on the ends. Cut that away and the spring will be seated pretty crappy on the spring-pans.