• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Stevo309

Testing Rear Beam

Stevo309

I'm doing a complete overhaul of the handling of my 205 at the moment and have replaced everything possible on the front end. Moving to the back though i can see that the trailing arms show no camber but how can i test the rear beam mounts and trailing arm bearings?

I don't have loads of equipment but do have ramps, trolley jacks, axle stands, lever bars etc. Are there certain tests i can do with the equipment i have?

Anthony

Without taking it apart, all you can "test" is that it's not definitely dead. You can't tell that the beam is good, and one that appears fine (ie no camber, play or noises) could still be in very poor shape internally and fit for scrap within just a few months.

Strip it, rebuild it, and then you'll know it will be good and probably outlast the car.

Stevo309

Thanks. My plan for the car is a complete restoration to bare shell but was hoping to get the car driving a1 first. That plan includes a fully rebuilt and coated beam so I guess there's no harm installing that now even if it would be coming off over the winter. Do you know or recommend anyone who can supply a good rebuilt complete beam, preferably in exchange to keep costs down?

Also, regarding the beam mounts, if I upgrade to group N is there a set that contains the front bushes as well? The group n kits from bakerbm or pug sport appear to be just the 2 rear block mounts? The group A kits all contain nylon bushes for the front mounts but I think a group A setup might be too much for an otherwise standard road car?

welshpug

Anthony can help with the beam, as can AlistairH :D

the Group N beams as far as I know utilise the standard gti front mounts, they are uprated over standard models.

Edited by welshpug

Miles

The std Pug bush's are pretty good up front, I'd use those with some Hard rubber rear mounts from BBM

jord294

i can also supply fully rebuilt and powder-coated gti beams

will also take a px on your beam

i'm a bit more of a distance away though (perhaps that's why my name wasn't mentioned)

here's a typical example

post-11467-1283933501_thumb.jpg

i can also supply brand new genuine disc protectors if your interested

just to add. i've had buyers travel from as far away as kent, london, and scotland to buy one of my beams ;)

Edited by jord294

Stevo309
i can also supply fully rebuilt and powder-coated gti beams

will also take a px on your beam

Sounds interesting thanks. I have seen your beams before, i assume from your location that you're the guy advertising on Piston Heads as i have see this photo before as well? To be honest the only reason i didn't make contact is the location, just didn't want to add on £100 in fuel to travel but i am looking for a quality beam for the restoration.

Thanks also guys for the advice regarding mounts, i'll try and source some Group N rear mounts and standard front bushes from the Pug Dealer. The rear mounts are showing out of stock at the moment on BBM though and they're double the price from Pug Sport ;)

jord294
Sounds interesting thanks. I have seen your beams before, i assume from your location that you're the guy advertising on Piston Heads as i have see this photo before as well? To be honest the only reason i didn't make contact is the location, just didn't want to add on £100 in fuel to travel but i am looking for a quality beam for the restoration.

it is me on Piston Heads. tbh with you, it makes sense to travel if your fetching me a px ;)

one reason a guy from kent spent over 5 hours to drive here for a beam, and another reason a forum member travelled from london for me to fit a beam for him

you can have a choice of colours if interested, but my preference at the mo is satin black tube, arms and mounts with either bright red or red oxide torsion bars

Brian M

I have andy's old Miami 309 and the beam on it is faultless and still looks great 8000 miles after it was put on.

bearmach
it is me on Piston Heads. tbh with you, it makes sense to travel if your fetching me a px ;)

one reason a guy from kent spent over 5 hours to drive here for a beam, and another reason a forum member travelled from london for me to fit a beam for him

you can have a choice of colours if interested, but my preference at the mo is satin black tube, arms and mounts with either bright red or red oxide torsion bars

How much is your beams,

Stevo309

Andy i think your beams look superb. I agree with your colours prefs as well apart from maybe making the brace supports to the rear mount silver just to look a little more factory. Not a big deal though. Not so keen on the yellow tubes although my 309 had a yellow tube from the factory.

I'm definitely interested if you want to PM me.

I'll look up where Flintshire is on the map ;)

jord294

pm'd <_<

i thought the username was familiar. then i read your sig

t16 ;)<_<