• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
smithy

Seized Trailing

smithy

I was going to refurb the rear beam anyway as car stood since 2002 but I have found the O/S trailing arm to be seized.

Is it possible to strip down easy enough when seized or would it be best getting a replacement beam?

Anthony

If it's siezed, then the shaft and tube will almost certainly be completely scrap.

With enough force you'll be able to remove the arm that's siezed, leaving the shaft stuck in the tube.

Baz

If it's seized into the beam tube then it's most probably beyond repair tbh, and a rebuilt/replacement beam may be your best option.

Anthony's not far from you and does excellent beam rebuild/refurbishments. :P

Edit; and the man himself beat me to it! :D

Edited by Baz

smithy

I have seen a few for sale that are ok and not seized,1 is from a 1.4 I know torsion bars are different but will the tube and trailing arms be the same as a 1.6gti?

smithy
I have seen a few for sale that are ok and not seized,1 is from a 1.4 I know torsion bars are different but will the tube and trailing arms be the same as a 1.6gti?

Anyone able advise if a non gti beam will be same as mine,could I just swap over torsion bars and ARB?

Anthony

The tube is slightly different to a GTi one, but you can use a base model one fine with GTi bars to make a GTi-spec beam.

I would strongly suggest stripping and rebuilding it though, as even if it's not siezed, most original 205 beams are in poor condition internally now and will inevitably fail sooner rather than later.

smithy
The tube is slightly different to a GTi one, but you can use a base model one fine with GTi bars to make a GTi-spec beam.

I would strongly suggest stripping and rebuilding it though, as even if it's not siezed, most original 205 beams are in poor condition internally now and will inevitably fail sooner rather than later.

Thanks for the advice much appreciated