• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pugpete1108

309 Gl Beam, Worth Getting?

pugpete1108

my local has a 309 gl with a non seized rear beam still on it.

i have been debating wether to get it and refurb it for use on my car or to sell on. i would probabally get some 306 arms etc with disks to go on it but was wondering if it was worth it?

question is could this beam have a arb fitted? or is it not likely?

Tom Fenton

If you can get it for the right money then yes, however a lot of breakers know what these are worth now.

It may or may not have a ARB in it, you will know as soon as you look at the ends of the trailing arms, but either way you can fit one to it.

Anthony

Worth getting for the tube alone to be honest, as all 309 tubes are the same, and getting ever-harder to find.

Most 309's seem to have an ARB on them, but it will probably be a spindly 14mm ARB with 18.5mm torsion bars (309 GTi items are both 20mm for reference)

Alastairh

Providing they aren't fooked, the tube, shafts and ARB end plates (if fitted) are really the only worth while items to keep. Other wise, stick in GTI bars and upgrade the arms to disk 306 etc.

You can still get them cheap enough even on sub 50k cars.

Al

pugpete1108

i might just prize the cap off and have a look see. and mate my breakers aint got a clue on cost, either that of they dont care ;)

i picked my complete vts engine up there for 150 notes

whats the cost of a 309 arb nowadays?

so i take it the tb's would be rubbish too?

Edited by pugpete1108

Anthony

You'd really want GTi TB's, as the 309 base model ones will be softer than standard 205 GTi bars.

Could always try some 21mm Peugeot Partner / Citroen Berlingo bars, which are a straight swap and nice little upgrade?

james_pug

youve been down woodgates then, i saw that the other day when i was down there.

pugpete1108
youve been down woodgates then, i saw that the other day when i was down there.

yeah was down there this afternoon. i think i may snap it up if i can get it cheap enough

what so partner or berlingo bars are the same length as 309 ones Ant?

Anthony

Just a few millimeters longer, and has the correct splines at either end.

I recently posted a picture comparing 205, 309, Partner, and 306 torsion bar lengths if you do a search on my posts.

welshpug

this is exactly what I did for my Goodwood, the car had 90k on it, no ARB, and mint shaft on one side, ever so slight wear on the other.

jsat used the tube and swapped all the other bits from the gti spec beam.

Edited by welshpug

Sobaru'

If i would get a basic beam like this with drum brakes could i install trailing arms from a 306 or from a citroen zx with disc brakes and use peugeot partnet TB's and ARB at the same time? Will it all fit together? Wich trailing arm should i go for?

Exept the partner bits it's hard to get these parts here :lol:

Baz
If i would get a basic beam like this with drum brakes could i install trailing arms from a 306 or from a citroen zx with disc brakes and use peugeot partnet TB's and ARB at the same time? Will it all fit together?

Yes, and yes.