• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
rallysteve

Euroquip Brake Lines?

rallysteve

I am about to buy all the bits to make up the brake lines for my project. I read a while back in someone's project thread that they used the Euroquip ones from Rallydesign for their whole car layout. I am also interested in doing this but have read some mixed reviews about using them.

How easy are they to make up, do they require special tools?

Does the expansion of the braided lengths provide a noticable difference over using copper pipe?

Any advice greatly appreciated :D

Steve

Alan_M
I am about to buy all the bits to make up the brake lines for my project. I read a while back in someone's project thread that they used the Euroquip ones from Rallydesign for their whole car layout. I am also interested in doing this but have read some mixed reviews about using them.

How easy are they to make up, do they require special tools?

Does the expansion of the braided lengths provide a noticable difference over using copper pipe?

Any advice greatly appreciated B)

Steve

I've got RallyDesign stuff on mine, running 4 pots up front, standard rear 1.9 calipers via a adjustable bias valve. Pretty easy to knock up, although I used a guide in a magazine from years ago. Got a feeling it was a Retro Car edition. From what I remember, use masking tape where you cut to stop braids spreading out, cutting square is really important (I used a cutting disc on a Dremel) and purpose brake spanners are useful (10/11/13mm).

peakrevs
I've got RallyDesign stuff on mine, running 4 pots up front, standard rear 1.9 calipers via a adjustable bias valve. Pretty easy to knock up, although I used a guide in a magazine from years ago. Got a feeling it was a Retro Car edition. From what I remember, use masking tape where you cut to stop braids spreading out, cutting square is really important (I used a cutting disc on a Dremel) and purpose brake spanners are useful (10/11/13mm).

Yes I second that.the Rally Design Euroquip system is excellent and very easy to assemble. I also wrapped the ends of the braided tube with masking tape before cutting and this works very well. The great thing about making your own lines is that they will be exactly the right length. (well, they should be!!)

Edited by peakrevs

rallysteve

Cheers, thats good to know and cutting with a dremel disc is a good idea too :)

So am I okay to do the whole car with the euroquip stuff or do I need copper front to back?

Ta Steve

peakrevs
Cheers, thats good to know and cutting with a dremel disc is a good idea too :)

So am I okay to do the whole car with the euroquip stuff or do I need copper front to back?

Ta Steve

Unless you are running inside lines, it's usual to use copper or Kunifer ( which is tougher and more durable) pipes front to back except where they need to be flexible. It has been said that you get a better pedal this way but I'm using Euroquip throughout without the pedal being in any way soft.

Cameron

I used Aeroquip hose and fittings to make mine and have had no problems whatsoever other than a bit of corrosion on the fittings, but they've been on the car for nearly 3 years now.

The only thing I'd add to what's been said is use electrical tape rather than masking tape when you're cutting the hose, as it's nice and rubbery it does a really good job of holding the strands together. I also used an angle grinder with a 1mm cutting disc, but I wouldn't recommend that unless you're really confident with a grinder and have a steady hand.

rnotman67

Is there anywhere you can get them at the correct length. How easy are they to cut/fit?

welshpug

you can only get them at the right length for your car if you take your car to someone that stocks and installs it.

otherwise just do as the guys suggest, buy a roll and the fittings you need and crack on.

Edited by welshpug

rnotman67

Will 5m of the stuff be enough or will I need more, also what fittings will I need for the 205?

Much appreciated guys,

cheers.

Alan_M
Will 5m of the stuff be enough or will I need more, also what fittings will I need for the 205?

Much appreciated guys,

cheers.

Depends on how far your going with the hoses and what setup. I'm sure I ordered 5m of the stuff just for a single line from MC to bias valve to T piece then two lines to each rear caliper. Most fittings are M10x1, swivel fittings are useful as are 90' elbows on the rear calipers. Oh, and don't forget grommets and P clips if routing through car.

There a loads of threads on 'braided hoses'. Do a search and all will be revealed :)