• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
weejp

Freeing Up 1.6 Gti Callipers

weejp

On my last MOT, it was noted that the inside of my discs and the inside pads were a bit duff, was informed it was likely that the callipers had partially siezed.

I have done a bit of searching on here and think I may attempt to free them up - lot's of cleaning and copper greasing, I believe. Is there a refurb kit available by any chance, if so where could I get such a thing?

Question is, is it a job worth trying or should I bite the bullet and purchase new callipers at a cost £95..??

Thanks....

welshpug

brake parts.co.uk do service kits for £24+vat per caliper, that includes all the seals and two sliders, though if the pistons are damaged they are £14 on their own, in which case ts probably much easier to get exchange calipers at £47 each + vat.

weejp
brake parts.co.uk do service kits for £24+vat per caliper, that includes all the seals and two sliders, though if the pistons are damaged they are £14 on their own, in which case ts probably much easier to get exchange calipers at £47 each + vat.

OK, thanks.

I'll clean them up as they are, if it's a case of no joy then, I'll go for the exchange calipers.

EdCherry

Bigredd do you a rebuild kit for bugger all money. Rebuilt 2 sets now and they worked like a dream although I did have about 12 calipers here to pick and choose the best parts from.

weejp
Bigredd do you a rebuild kit for bugger all money. Rebuilt 2 sets now and they worked like a dream although I did have about 12 calipers here to pick and choose the best parts from.

These rebuild kits, I take it, it's the Bendix version I go for - Part No. BR204833 Front Repair kit (axle set) and this does both calipers.

Think I'll get bleed screws too, does anyone know the size of the top of their head?

EdCherry

M7 x 1 for the bleed screws.

Cant get you the part numbers for the rebuild kits on the bendix at the minute but phone them up and they should be able to tell you. It does do both calipers.