• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
aymen_a22

Best Brake Setup?

aymen_a22

I have been wondering, What does everyone consider the best brake setup to be on the XS?

I have heard of people upgrading to 1.6 GTi calipers with 1.9 Disks however having more pedel travel due to the smaller Master Cylinder.

Similarly heard of converting to 1.9 GTi disks and calipers.

I have also heard of people using 306 DT calipers and disks with good results.

I have not seen anyone use the GTi-6 setup on an XS but would that work (assuming 15 inch wheels are fitted) or is it just overkill?

Also what other Master Cylinders do fit on the XS with which brake combination?

Hope to get lots of view on this one.

Thanks

shalmaneser

You can fit pretty much any 306 brake - D Turbo (240) XSi (260) and GTI6 (280) - numbers are approximate, can't remeber them exactly.

The 1.9 setup will fit with 1.9 discs and calipers, same as the D Turbo setup really, 240mm disc, slave cylinder diameter may be different though.

You can also fit 1.6 calis which are nice and light along with the 1.9 discs. Can't use 1.6 discs, they're a funny offset.

As far as master cylinders go, don't know as much about them but I would have thought the corresponding item off the caliper donor car would probably be the way to go, certainly 1.6 and 1.9 gti master cylinders are the same, might be worth looking into their diameter when compaired to your master cylinder.

If I were you I'd go for the 1.9 brakes and MC, the 1.6 calis are light but I'm not a fan of the design as they're very sensitive to slider wear, unless you're buying new.

anything much bigger and you'll end up a bit overbraked!

EDIT:

I wouldn't bother changing your MC unless you fit the brakes and find the pedal travel a bit too long, I'm doing fine with gti6 brakes and a gti MC. It's horses for courses really, see how you get on.

Edited by shalmaneser

RossD

I fitted the 244mm vented 306 ATE setup years ago to my 205 and to be honest it isn't really any better than a sorted standard setup. In my opinion the XS is light enough that you can keep the solid discs and just buy some uprated pads and all will be fine.

Pretty sure the 1.4 Challange boys have to keep the solid discs so if it's ok for them.... :)