• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Alan_M

Suspension Setup

Alan_M

After a bit of advice regarding my setup on the 205. I'm trying to decide whether to change the suspension to a more track based setup if I decide to keep the 205. The only thing is I'm concerned that going to a more dedicated track setup will make the car unsuitable for the road. I 'do' enjoy going for blats in it and still drive it to work, both of which are something I don't want to lose.

The current setup is,

Front

Bilstein Challenge Dampers

Eibach springs

309 Wishbones

309 ARB

Trans-X LSD

Rear

Bilstein Challenge Dampers

309 Beam

ZX Volcane arms

306 GTi6 ARB

Having a read the various topics, I am leaning towards Gaz Golds, 250Ib springs, go back to standard GTi front ARB and 23mm TBs. I'll suck it and see with the GTi6 rear ARB, as I still have the std 309 ARB. My main concern apart from being too stiff, is to get the best from this setup surely I'll have to run decent tyres (R888s or similar) yet as I've got an 1.9 Mi16 I am severly restricted to what I can use. I just don't want to run the risk of grenading the engine.

Will my proposed setup be too stiff for the road?

Is anybody else running a similar setup with track tyres and an Mi16?

Toddy

It really depends what type of roads you enjoy driving. If it's glass smooth A roads then 23mm t/bs will be ok, for me I hated them on the roads I drive, as I prefer b roads which are undulating and rippled with bumps.

SBC phase 2 road is 21mm t/b's & 23mm ARB, all the road rally boys seem to use 21mm bars as well. You could try those partner van 21mm t/b's and go from there?

Alan_M
It really depends what type of roads you enjoy driving. If it's glass smooth A roads then 23mm t/bs will be ok, for me I hated them on the roads I drive, as I prefer b roads which are undulating and rippled with bumps.

SBC phase 2 road is 21mm t/b's & 23mm ARB, all the road rally boys seem to use 21mm bars as well. You could try those partner van 21mm t/b's and go from there?

A lot of the roads round my way are smooth, yet the roads to work can be interesting. The car really is a handful in a straight line when planting the throttle on those bumpy roads, due to the thicker front ARB and diff.

The main reason for the upgrade is for track work, but then I keep thinking whats the point with road tyres. I'm kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place, as road tyres are surely too soft for a stiff suspension, yet if I go to R888s or similar I'll likely end up grenading the engine.

kyepan

I have 22mm torsion bars, 25mm rear arb, 200lb front springs and gaz coil overs.. bla bla bla.

at -30mm it was a nightmare to drive, jumping across the road and bump steering all over the show, super direct though, and very stable under braking. It would do some disconcerting things when hitting the bump stops over larger / longer unduations.

at standard ish ride height it handled even the roughest b roads with ease, you could place it accurately, and the turn in was satisfactory, the back is a bit more active under heavy braking, but on blance, better.

hope that helps.

kyepan

I have 22mm torsion bars, 25mm rear arb, 200lb front springs and gaz coil overs.. bla bla bla.

at -30mm it was a nightmare to drive, jumping across the road and bump steering all over the show, super direct though, and very stable under braking. It would do some disconcerting things when hitting the bump stops over larger / longer unduations.

at standard ish ride height it handled even the roughest b roads with ease, you could place it accurately, and the turn in was satisfactory, the back is a bit more active under heavy braking, but on blance, better.

hope that helps.