• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Obey_R

Leaky Quarter Window

Obey_R

Have noticed it's been leaking for a while and only just got the chance to take the window out. It would leak during very heavy rain and leave me with a puddle about an inch deep in the footwell.

The leak is coming from the bottom corner nearest the door, behind the trim so I took the window out expecting it to be coming between the car and the window seal, but it's not.

There's noticable water marks (rust) on the inside edge but nothing on the outside. It seems like it's coming from imbetween the two 'skins'.

I have the usual crack above it, which is open slightly, would this route water down to come out around the window?

There's no signs on the roof and the headlining is bone dry so I can't see it being the sunroof drains but I'm stumped!

Photos are below if anyone can help.

Where it's dripping from (bottom right)

4904321195_ea714aaaa2_t.jpg

Inner edge, small patches of rust

4904321223_7876bd5a28_t.jpg

Crack above

4904321201_e345a911a2_t.jpg

Edited by Obey_R

Wes

it will be a shrunken widow seal, mine does this and the water actually comes in inbetween the glass and the rubber. only thing you can do is revive/feed the rubber so it makes a seal again.

Obey_R

But the water is coming from behind the skin in the first photo. I can't see any signs of water progress by the actual window? :rolleyes:

When it does leak, I can't see any water/damp on the seal.

I think I'll put the window back without the trim in place and see if I can see more.

Edited by Obey_R

Obey_R

I've taped a bin-bag around the window (no glass or seal in place) so I can find out exactly where the water is coming from.

I'm amazed how much the seal has shrunk! I knew they would, but when it was pushed into all the corners, there was about an inch gap on the last corner!

These aren't availible new I know but my main dealer one told me of a place called Pugparts or something similar who had a few bits of NLA stock when the dealers got rid of it?

Wes

the other place it can come in is at the bottom of the doors, same thing again were the seals wear. mine does this aswell! the water runs around the seal and overflows at the bottom into the foot well. sit inside and get someone to hose the outside and see.

Obey_R

I've sat inside when it's been raining so I know it's only leaking from the window. I can see the water coming behind the black trim around the bottom of the window and dripping down the B-pillar.

Hopefully now there's no trim and no window in place I'll be able to see exactly where it's coming from when it next rains!

What is the best thing to do about the existing seals, hot water and streching them - does that work?

DaveW

Best to get some used ones mate you might be lucky but only get them if they are cheap mind you..

Rob_the_Sparky
it will be a shrunken widow seal, mine does this and the water actually comes in inbetween the glass and the rubber. only thing you can do is revive/feed the rubber so it makes a seal again.

Just go the the main dealer and buy some new ones...!

Having said that they are currently re-manufacturing one side but have orders for 16 of them. Expected in end of August.

Obey_R

So they're only having 16 of one side made, or minimum order is 16?

Just spoken to my stealer and he says he's not heard of anything and they are (as far as he knows, which isn't very much) NLA from now on...

Edited by Obey_R

Obey_R

Had rain tonight and as the window is taped up with no glass or seal, it's still leaking and it's certainly coming from inside of the B pillar. Between the 2 skins - not from the window itself.

I'm very much hoping it is coming through the crack above the 1/4 window so will get that filled asap. Still at a loss of what to do with the window seal though, as this one is way to small ot put back as it is!

I was thinking of getting a similar seal from the scrappy and adding a small section into mine, making it the right size...

GLPoomobile

That's actually not a bad idea. It's certainly no worse than keeping a shrunken seal, and the door seals always have that gap where the ends meet. Besides, I bought new seals once and they were a bugger to fit as they were actually too big. Was a right mare trying to get them to squash in to place. Everyone prefers nice new parts, but under the circumstances, adding a section from a donor seal might be the righ budget conscious solution :rolleyes:

Obey_R

Glad I'm doing something right, thanks!

dino20vt
Had rain tonight and as the window is taped up with no glass or seal, it's still leaking and it's certainly coming from inside of the B pillar. Between the 2 skins - not from the window itself.

I'm very much hoping it is coming through the crack above the 1/4 window so will get that filled asap. Still at a loss of what to do with the window seal though, as this one is way to small ot put back as it is!

I was thinking of getting a similar seal from the scrappy and adding a small section into mine, making it the right size...

Why don't you just pour water over where you think it's coming from that way you don't have to wait till it rains.

As for the seals just stick them in hot water to soften then stretch to length.

Edited by dino20vt

Rob_the_Sparky
So they're only having 16 of one side made, or minimum order is 16?

Just spoken to my stealer and he says he's not heard of anything and they are (as far as he knows, which isn't very much) NLA from now on...

Maybe, I ordered mine back in June. Got one from stock and latest I know (dealer had to ring Peugeot UK to find out) is that they have outstanding orders for 16 of the other and are re-manufacturing the parts (no idea how many). New parts due in end of August/ start September.

Rob