• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  

309 Wishbones And 1600 Hubs

basically i cant be bothered to fit the whole 1900 hub/brakes/discs shizzle but i have some 309 wishbones to go on a 1600 gti

anyone fitted this setup with longer 309 shafts but non gti ones sucessfully?

did a search honest :)

j_turnell

I know the 309 dt is the same setup as the gti, but what about the sri which was basically a 1.6 gti, may have the smaller splined end for 1.6 hubs, or maybe the non turbo diesel......

yeah thats what im thinking just wondered if it had been done so i can know for sure

j_turnell

Had a quick look on service box and there are some different part numbers for the other xu 309's suggesting different hub ends.

j_turnell

listed for the xu5ja, 309 sri im assuming.

3273 30 (Left)

3273 H9 (Right)

hmm the plot thickens!

Daviewonder

I fitted 309 bones to my 1.6. I didn't have to use 309 driveshafts, I just kept the 205 ones.

Miles

all bar the GTi on the 309 run solid disc's and use the same hub as the GTi, So you'll just keep the 1.6 hub and use the 1.6 shaft, the hub is only offset from the carrier itself so no issues with shafts

Obey_R
all bar the GTi on the 309 run solid disc's and use the same hub as the GTi, So you'll just keep the 1.6 hub and use the 1.6 shaft, the hub is only offset from the carrier itself so no issues with shafts

Forgive me for butting in, I'm still learning. Does that mean then that the 309 bones are the same length as the 1.6. As in no wider track like the rear beam? I thought the point of upgrading to the 309 wishbones was to get wider track? Someone care to explain to me?

skinner2k3

I am running 309 GTI wishbones on 1600 GTI front suspension and driveshafts, no problems.

AdamP
Forgive me for butting in, I'm still learning. Does that mean then that the 309 bones are the same length as the 1.6. As in no wider track like the rear beam? I thought the point of upgrading to the 309 wishbones was to get wider track? Someone care to explain to me?

They give more negative camber. It only extends the distance between the CVs about 8mm which they can easily cope with. I've been running 205 shafts and 309 wishbones for a while now.

SweetBadger
They give more negative camber. It only extends the distance between the CVs about 8mm which they can easily cope with. I've been running 205 shafts and 309 wishbones for a while now.

Likewise, running 309 wishbones with 205 shafts, covered about 6k so far - no issues whatsoever.

Have yet to try them on track, but they've been fine with whatever I've thrown at them on the road.

Edited by SweetBadger

i just had a nasty experience with reverse and full lock in a carpark once so was dubious on fitting them

i bow to the superior knowledge of others though! and will give it a try

shalmaneser
I am running 309 GTI wishbones on 1600 GTI front suspension and driveshafts, no problems.

I was doing the same until I swapped to the full 1.9 hubs and shafts + gti6 brake setup.

Worked fine for me for ages.