• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Obey_R

Primer Questions

Obey_R

Firstly, I'm whipping out the 1/4 window to stop it leaking but I will also need to grind back a bit of rust around the edges before putting the seal back in. Now the plan was to grind it all back to good metal but then I'm not sure what to do...

The whole car is getting a re-spray but not for a good few months yet so I don't want to primer it ready for the paint then over the next few months it to just rust through the primer again! So whats the best plan on this? Would it be a good idea to grind it back, primer then just cover with some cheap topcoat to make it waterproof until the full spray?

Secondly on the same kind of lines - I'm getting all the rust chopped out around the B-pillar and sills and replaced with new sections. This is all going to be primed also but again, how long can I leave bare primer before paint until I start getting problems again? Am I best buying some cheap grey paint and just going over it all until I can afford the re-spray?

The car is only going to be set in my yard so I'm not bothered what it looks like.

Thanks for reading,

Ross.

PS, James if you're reading maybe you'll give me some ideas?

Obey_R

Nobody?

Rob Turbo

Buy a tin of cheap paint and cover it over, then it can be left as long as you want before it's painted properly, saying that, my dad primed some bare metal on his MGB GT and a year or so later it's still good! It is under a cover, so maybe that helped?

I'd rather paint just incase though.

strobe

hi mate I'd talk to the people who are going to spray it so that you dont inadvertently use a paint or primer that will react with what they are going to use as this could just be making more work for you /them but yes you do need to proof it once you've finished grinding/repairing and a zinc rich primer would be my best guess

Obey_R

Only problem with that is the respray is so far down the line I don't know who is going to be doing it. Applying some good zinc primer and leaking it undercover (still outside though) - would that allow the rust to come back or would it just mean I'd have to sand and re-prime the area prior to paint?

Obviously I'd rather not paint it for the fact it will mean more prep and it does come to the spray, but I don't want to grind the rust down and primer it only for it to come back later.