• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
craig_007

Under Steer Out Of Corner

craig_007

On my last track day the car seemed to push on/struggle for grip when entering a corner quite quick(when I looked at edge of tyre you could see it wasn't far from coming from rim !)

Is this this just lack of grip from tyre on passenger side or is there any thing I could do to improve this ?

I checked tyre pressure and they were all approx 30psi hot.

I was also running R888 tyres,I was told when I was at the track to ditch these and go with 048s which I also have but have never tried on track yet.

Baz

888's are softer sidewalled than other similar tyres (like A048's) so they will roll over.

Without knowing much else though, suspension, spring rate etc then can't say much!

craig_007

Baz to be honest the suspension was on the car when I bought it.

I do know it has koni shocks but thats about it.

Don't get me wrong it was out handling most things on track,I'll try the 048s on the front and try from there.

projectpug

More negative camber could be what you need. 30 Psi hot sounds about right for R888's circa 23psi cold. R888's are softer sidewalled than a A048r, but that not as important on a pug as it's not that heavy compared to say a heavy BMW/Porsche.

Baz

Simply changing the tyres alone really isn't going to make that much difference.

Koni's are generally ok, depending on which ones, but spring rate and as said, camber is going to make a dofference too.

Cameron

Yep, you'll need to up the spring rate to get the most from your track tyres, especially if you move over to the stiffer A048's. As an example I'm running 350lb springs on a very lightweight 205 running A048's. But, when you're running rates that high you'll definitely need better dampers to cope with them!

welshpug

slow down!

Cameron
:lol: Yeah that too! Slow in, fast out is the cure to monstrous understeer.

welshpug

Though that in itself needs self control, too much gas and you'll get power understeer, a diff helps massively, as dopes looking at the chassis balance as a whole.

i.e matched spring rates + dampers + geometry, anti roll if needed (I know a few that advocate higher spring rate and better damper control over using any ARB's whatsoever)

Cameron

I've ditched the front ARB now thinking that the spring rates are high enough to cope with the body roll, and it feels pretty damn good! Really balanced and like you said the diff has made such a big improvement!

Any aspect of driving on track requires self control though, as generally the key to being fast is being smooth.

craig_007

Might well look for a different suspension set up for the front.

I wouldn't say I was entering the corners at over the top speeds at all just the same as the other 205s that were on track I just seemed to have less grip coming out than the other 2 did !!

Is it personal preference wheter to up the spring rates and lose anti roll bar or vice versa stick with the springs and go for a larger ARB ?

Anthony

If you're only getting problems on the exit of the corner, and you're able to get the car turned in and hitting the apex fine, then I'd personally say that it's likely to be one of the following:

1) You're apexing the corner too early, which will usually make you run wide on the exit unless you back off

2) You're applying either too much power or applying it too early, letting the front wash out and run wide

An LSD helps massively with the second point, and could be why the other two 205's were able to pull away on the exit of the corner if they're running one - especially on higher powered cars or in wet conditions.

In my experience, if you're carrying too much speed into the corner, or you don't have the grip due to suspension or tire issues, you'll either struggle to get the car turned in, or it will wash out before the apex. The fact that (I assume) you're managing both of those OK suggests that it's either the line or power related.

harryskid

Get lsd!

projectpug

All of the above is good advice :lol:. I would definately get a LSD if you havn't and plan on doing regular trackwork. There are plenty of post on which is better and the differences between ATBs and gripper style diffs.

matt.f

Tran-x nuff said!

Baz

Any plate-type diff will do.

craig_007

I was actually thinking along the lines of a diff.

Have to keep my eyes open for one turning up !!