• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
shimmey69

Please Help Mi16 205 Steering Itself

shimmey69

Right my 205 mi16 went in to today to have the engine mounts changed for BakerBM's and whilst it was in they found the drive shafts were well fked, so had them changed aswell.

left the garage and all was fine felt nice and tight and completely change the car, got about 5 miles and took a large roundabout and speed, and whilst exiting onto the dual carriageway the steering started pulling towards the right, and when i say pulling i dont mean a slight tracking out pull i mena as though someone in the car fighting against me. like someone trying to steer the car!!!

it only when i accelerate it pulls hard to the right! rest of the time its completely fine,

anyone got any ideas as to whats might be wrong???

Many thanks in advance

Baz

Hi Jake, this is fairly common of worn wishbone inner bushes, either that or worn/ovalled Ball-Joint pin holes in the hubs.

Both are certainly worth a look anyway, as it's most probably one or both.

large

Bottom ball joint from the wish bone into the hub. check they have been done up, check for play.

shimmey69

Dejavu :lol:

Hi Baz

thanks for the quick reply she is fully polybushed so i am thinking that its gonna be the ball joint as they were split to get the driveshafts outs etc!!

Hoping that it aint ovaled holes in the hub as that gonna be more expensive!!!

so as it is pulling to the drivers side it will be th edrivers side to look at first??

ohh the joys of 20year old hoon mobile!!!

Edited by shimmey69

hexhamstu

Could be that the pinch bolt for the ball joint/hub is bent.

DrSarty

It usually pulls to the opposite side the worn wishbone ball joint, pinch bolt or hub is.

So if it pulls to the driver's (RHD offside) side, it's the nearside (passenger side) you need to look at. Reasoning IMO is that as it loads up, the balljoint 'pops' into a different position, snatching the steering.

Check/replace the pinch bolt*; check the hole in the hub carrier isn't distorted and also the wishbone balljoint itself.

I would hazard a guess, that if it didn't happen before, the mechanic/workshop has clowted the wishbone balljoint into the hub carrier, and damaged one or both. He/she may have even gone a stage further and then damaged the bolt too, and as you say the pull is very bad, then this could be the case.

*Baz (on here) sells uprated ones. Well worth it.

large

I would definitely take the car back to the garage for them to have a look and possibly fix the problem for you foc.

I would not get funny with them, just firmly point out that the car did not do this before they had worked on the bottom ball joint and you now suspect you have a problem with it.

shimmey69

I was with the car the whole time in the garage and saw both ball joints where split with a big iron bar, one using just human pwer the other with a few hits on the bar to pop the joint, so i certinaly dont believe the garage has been rough arseing the joint but i wasnt watching the whole time so entirely possible.

it could also just be that the joint was coming to the end of its life and being pulled apart then back again has caused it to fail, as it did last 5-6 miles at non gentle speeds and was only when i took a large roundabout at 50 ish that it caused the problem, which goes with Drsarty comment opposite side as all the presssure when on a roundabout hard is on the passenger side possibly causing it to fail, it going back to the garage for them to look, just never had a car pull SOOOOOO hard like that, the harder i accelerated the harder it pulled!! was really something else!!

Baz can you let me know how much your uprated bits are???

Miles

With the amount of bad shafts I;ve had over the month's it could be a short shaft, All seems well on the straight and slight corner's, but hit a roundabout etc then you get all sorts of odd things happening.

I;ve had them

Too short (This one really got me)

Too Long

CV dead even before fitting.

GLPoomobile

Could still be a failed bush though. It's well documented on here that many of the polybush brands can/will fail prematurely and happens quickly as opposed to developing over time.

shimmey69

well thanks for all the replies, i am thinking it might be the polybushes then as this happened very quickly, entered roundabout all was fine, exited and all hell broke loose!!

dont think it the driveshafts as the pulling happens on strights, corners, roundabouts at any speed every tiem i accelerate it pulls.

how would i tell if it is the polybushes, ?? will there be lots of play??

Many thanks all

Baz how quick can you get those bolts to me???

Baz

PM'd you mate. :)

kyepan
Could still be a failed bush though. It's well documented on here that many of the polybush brands can/will fail prematurely and happens quickly as opposed to developing over time.

that is true, i've been through several sets at various points.

easy test for this though to be 100% get the flattest road you can (motorway) drive at 60, accelerate for a couple of seconds then lift completely. if it goes to the right under acceleration, then left as you lift, i vote wishbone bushes. If it doesn't do this then very definitly start following everyone elses advice.

shimmey69

well it was the new drivehsafts on the drivers side it had totally exploded and was causing the problems, but also whilst it was being changed i got the lower arms and the track rod ends all replaced at the same time too as they were showing signs of wear and where in need of replacing!!!

Thanks all for all the help and also to miles nice to meet you and the solid engine pulley i brought was simply superb.