• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
arnold naber

206 Sw Gti Trailing Arms

arnold naber

Hi,

I have read "somewhere" that some guys use the 206 SW trailing arms on a 205... I can get a hold on the complete stuff of a 206 GTi 180... But im looking for info how it is fitted on the rear arm side.. Middle section is easy.. Or do you replace the 205 arms with the 206 arms ?

006.jpg

Arnold

Kev-G

Do 205 torsion bars not sit 'fore + aft' of the beam rather than above and below like the pic. of the 206?

The tank then gets in the way of simply rotating the beam tub bracket.

welshpug

indeed they do, the other issue is that the shafts that the bearings run on re pressed into the tube not the arms, very much like the 106 beam (one of the seals is the same)

given their reputation for wearing out and being much more expensive to repair I would stick to the 205 beam

arnold naber
indeed they do, the other issue is that the shafts that the bearings run on re pressed into the tube not the arms, very much like the 106 beam (one of the seals is the same)

given their reputation for wearing out and being much more expensive to repair I would stick to the 205 beam

Sorry i forgot to mention... i own a 106 now... I was wondering how the 205 guys mounted the extra arm on the standard rearbeam arm

welshpug

never seen that done.

edit, or rather not with 206 parts,

however I have seen this

Train_AR_evo_022.JPG

Train_AR_4110.JPG

Train_AR_evo_018.JPG

Pylones_train_AR_Evo_3.JPG

train_AR_evo_vue_de_cote2.JPG

Edited by welshpug

stefan

Sorry, I'm a bit blind with this.

What does all off that actually do, then?

arnold naber

looks tha bomb i know that kit... But cutting a hole in the mainbeam doenst seem like a good idea

welshpug

I doubt it'll hurt the stiffness much, but you'd need to ask someone like Rippthrough as they know more about the forces and strength of stuff :D

Tom Fenton

Is all that lot not done to stiffen the trailing arm due to the massive increase in track width with those spacers?

swordfish210
Is all that lot not done to stiffen the trailing arm due to the massive increase in track width with those spacers?

Possibly, won't the stress will still be on the wheel bearings though?

stefan

What spacers? 'the things' on, and inside the disc seem to be just that the wheel can be centred, I'd say the wheel is machined to accept the 2 thingies under the bolts. And the aluminum 'cube' on the trailing arm is so that all of those 'pipes' can be bolted on... Am I wright? What does all of that actualy do?

I'm at a loss! :D

Edited by stefan

joe1joe

i think the stress will not be anymore than usual on the bearings as the spacers are behind the bearings,

which means the bearings will not have any more leverage on them than usual, i would also say the bracing is used to strengthen the beam especialy having the extra leverage on the beam bearigs due to the spacers and generaly stop movement.

Edited by joe1joe

Tom Fenton
Possibly, won't the stress will still be on the wheel bearings though?

I'd say not, as the distance from the face the wheel will mount on, to the c/l of the bearing, is the same as standard, hence no increase in wheel bearing load.

swordfish210
I'd say not, as the distance from the face the wheel will mount on, to the c/l of the bearing, is the same as standard, hence no increase in wheel bearing load.

Ah i got it now. In that case then the extra bracing should be there just to support the trailing arms.

Tom Fenton
What spacers? 'the things' on, and inside the disc seem to be just that the wheel can be centred, I'd say the wheel is machined to accept the 2 thingies under the bolts. And the aluminum 'cube' on the trailing arm is so that all of those 'pipes' can be bolted on... Am I wright? What does all of that actualy do?

I'm at a loss! :D

The spacer adding the track width. As far as I can tell the primary objective is to make a wide track rear beam. However by adding spacers (see red lines) of something like 40mm (estimate) the bending loads on the trailing arm is far far greater than before. Hence all the struts added to try and restore rigidity to where it would be without them there.

Train_AR_evo_018mod.jpg

welshpug

those beams are typically used on French F2 or F2000 "Maxi" 205's, so typically running fairly wide wheels and extended arches, KRS do them for the 306 too.

stefan

A good explanation, as any, I guess, might asweel be so, but I don't see what could happen to the trailing arm itself due to any spacer fitted. What's it gona do, snap? I haven't seen a snapped trailing arm so far.

EDIT

The f2000 are really great cars!

Edited by stefan

shalmaneser
A good explanation, as any, I guess, might asweel be so, but I don't see what could happen to the trailing arm itself due to any spacer fitted. What's it gona do, snap? I haven't seen a snapped trailing arm so far.

EDIT

The f2000 are really great cars!

They stop the trailing arm flexing under hard cornering. You can bend them with your hand when the car's jacked up, i dread to think what they're like when the car's tripoding!

Tom Fenton
trailing arm flexing under hard cornering. You can bend them with your hand

You must have the optional plasticine trailing arms fitted to your car. Mine certainly cannot be bent by hand.....

swordfish210
They stop the trailing arm flexing under hard cornering. You can bend them with your hand when the car's jacked up, i dread to think what they're like when the car's tripoding!

You can bend your trailing arms by hand..are you the fricking iron man or something!

Anthony

425.the.incredible.hulk.033108.jpg

Shalmaneser, pictured yesterday working on his car

(in all seriousness, it's FAR more likely that you're just flexing the rubber beam mounts - assuming you've not upgraded to Group A solids - which is fairly easy to do when the beam is unloaded, and not flexing the cast trailing arm, which sure as hell will not bend under hand pressure!)

Cameron

Also, have a look at the pic again:

Train_AR_evo_022.JPG

The HUGE bending moment caused by the offset of the mounting point on the trailing arm to where it is braced to the beam (at the rod end) is also going to do next to bugger all to improve stiffness.

RossD

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was quietly thinking the same thing!