• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
rescue dude

Improving Balance

rescue dude

The set up I have on my 1.9 hillclimb/sprint/road 205 at the moment is standard torsion bars and arb at the back with 306 tarmac shocks.

At the front I only have Sprintline shocks and springs and standard arb.

My question is am I unbalancing the car by having it harder at the back than the front?

Money is really tight at the moment so fitting coilovers at the front is sadly not possible, but if I were to fit harder springs say 250-300lb do you think this would improve things?

I have searched but nothing seems to answer my specific question.

welshpug

I don't understand your statement quite, as it doesn't ring true with what you said the spec of the car is?!

Moving to higher front spring rate will make it an understeery beast, also the dampers you have are not designed to run such high rates comparatively.

rescue dude
I don't understand your statement quite, as it doesn't ring true with what you said the spec of the car is?!

Moving to higher front spring rate will make it an understeery beast, also the dampers you have are not designed to run such high rates comparatively.

The spec is as stated, Sprintline springs and shocks on the front and 306 tarmac spec rear shocks. Everything else is standard.

I was wondering if I could fit harder springs and or uprated shockers on the front to improve the balance of the car?

I do have an lsd which seems to sort out any understeer powering out of corners.

TT205

I think you are getting mixed up

Stiffen rear - encourage oversteer

Stiffen front - encourage understeer

If you leave the rear as is and fit stiffer front springs it'll understeer +++ and if you are sprint/hillclimbing reducing the cars ability to change direction will make you sloooow

Unless the car is already ridiculously oversteery don't stiffen the front

1) Get a thicker arb now and leave everything else as is, this will give better turn in and will make it a bit looser at the back

2) When you can afford it, get thicker rear torsion bars AND up the front spring rate

rescue dude

Cheers TT I'll look at doing that.

TT205
1) Get a thicker arb now and leave everything else as is, this will give better turn in and will make it a bit looser at the back

Just to be clear - I mean a REAR ARB!!!!

rescue dude
Just to be clear - I mean a REAR ARB!!!!

I know mate.

boombang

I've a 25mm ARB here - would be more of a compromise for the road use, but a cheap useful upgrade for a sprint/hillclimb