• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
blessed6383

Rear Beam Rebuild Just A Few Quick Question

blessed6383

will be fully rebuilding with rear solid mounts

1st is which other trailing arms are the best replacement for a 205 gti as one of my trailing arm looks a bit worn?

also best way to remove a seized outer bearing shell as was completely knackered and fallen apart?

anyone here do this as would be willing to pay to replace the inner and outer bearings if i supply them?

below are some pics of the beamand trailing arms and condition any advice welcome

th_IMAG0238.jpg[

th_IMAG0237.jpg

th_IMAG0233.jpg

th_IMAG0243.jpg

swordfish210

Those trailing arm shafts are shagged, Peugeot or GSF for the new ones.

blessed6383

can you just replace the shaft? or are they pressed in? was going to consider changing for zx arms as hear about this being done to change the camber? is this true

swordfish210
can you just replace the shaft? or are they pressed in? was going to consider changing for zx arms as hear about this being done to change the camber? is this true

You can press the old shaft out and put a new one in. ZX arms give 1.2degrees negative camber iirc

blessed6383

think this side looks ok would you agree?

th_IMAG0236.jpg

th_IMAG0235.jpg

swordfish210

Not too bad, hard to tell without feeling it though.

Redtop

Wipe the grease off it with a rag. If you can feel any see or feel wear in it with your finger nail, then replace. Hard to see with the grease on it. Very easy to press the shafts in and out. Not a big job.

blessed6383

cheers guy could it be pressed out at home without a press or is it best to just get a garage to press it out/new one in? also the bearing shell is still stuck in there if i heat it up are they easy to tap out? B)

swordfish210
cheers guy could it be pressed out at home without a press or is it best to just get a garage to press it out/new one in? also the bearing shell is still stuck in there if i heat it up are they easy to tap out? B)

You'll need to put a couple of tonnes on the shaft to free it from the arm so you decide. The bearing shells can be a pig to remove, just keep smashing them until they free off.

Edited by swordfish210

james_pug

I replaced a pair of shafts in my trailing arms at home without a press was a right pain though and next time I'll be using a press. I got replacement shafts from a 306 down a scrap yard just took a couple of beams apart until I found a very good pair worked out costing alot less than new ones.

Getting the bearings out the tube isn't to difficult on the outers just try and break the cage and it should pull out with pliers, the inners are alot harder though you need to find a bar that just fits through the beam tube but not through the bearing and hit them out, if you find a long enogh bar just go straight through so the both come out the same end.

jord294

imho, i don't think your tube looks too clever, where the outer bearing should sit

if it were me, i'd try and source a better one. that way you know the jobs done right :D