• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gavbrum

Good And Bad Rear Bilstein Shocks

gavbrum

Which are the good bilstein rear shocks and which are the ones to avoid. Model numbers quoted preferred. I know of yellows (Grp N + B6's) and blacks (B4's, model numbers BNE-1931 or BNE-1039)

Which are good and which are bad.

Cheers,

Gav

Baz

Blacks.

welshpug

1932 IIRC are for a ZX or Xsara which are shorter and larger bodies, have been told these are a good bit better than the 1931 which are nowhere near o.e spec.

anything bilstein yellow is good, but you do need to make sure they match the usage and torsion bars used.

Edited by welshpug

Batfink

bilstein B6 is a 30% improvement on standard damping, mono tube damper with internal bump stops.

gavbrum

Just got a price from Peugeot for original rear dampers

Part number 5206te £53.58 each

S33GAV

Yellow Bilstein Sprintlines = Good

jackherer

Black rear Bilstein dampers with the part number BNE-1931 are the only ones that are actually useless and should be thrown in the bin.

f4bne1931bc_205_arr_b4_400.jpg

gavbrum
Black rear Bilstein dampers with the part number BNE-1931 are the only ones that are actually useless and should be thrown in the bin.

f4bne1931bc_205_arr_b4_400.jpg

Why are they so crap? I heard they are really bouncy. How come Bilstein have made such a rubbish damper?

TU_Later

Yes, they are. Ridiculously soft, I could s*it in the boot and the arches would rub.

I need to fit my new ones :)

harryskid

I run yellows on my rally car!

Stevo309

I was excited when I recently bought my 205 and it was already running Bilstein black dampers all round. The handling has never felt right so I took the advice on this forum and removed the rear BNE-1931 dampers and replaced with standard dampers and it's a huge improvement.

Despite their reputation Bilstein obviously got these wrong and yes they are way too soft. I plan to change the fronts for something else next as that feels soft and wooly to me too

welshpug

BNE 1932's

DSC00373.jpg

Not used them myself, but Miles said they work well and a few guys on the 306gti6 forum use them, £57.30 the pair from ECP.

matt.f

Got GP-N Billies on my rallycar and they are spot on.

PaulJLLD

306 Tarmac billies work perfect on my 205 road rally car. :huh:

Edited by PaulJLLD

Jrod

Even the 1039's seem too soft and they are 'motorsport' ones.

I'd only ever use 1038's, these are much stiffer but awesome.

welshpug

funnily enough, I was working on a 306's beam earlier today, first thing I noticed when I jacked it up was the fat bodied bilstein dampers, nothing like the BNE1931's that I had a few years ago, loo and behold when they came off and I could see the part number, they were indeed BNE1931's!

so maybe they are ok now? :huh:

Stevo309

Well the 1931s I just took off my car that were crap were less than 6 months old and look brand new. The previous owner did this so he could have bought old stock I suppose but doubtful.

Cazzo

I made the mistake of fitting the Bilstein B46-1039's and they were horrendous.... and thats a word I dont use that often!!

They were far too soft and made the car undriveable, on acceleration you could see and feel the back end sink,

Then when changing gear it would pop back up, the car bucked about like a bucking bronco!!

I would advise anyone NOT to fit these 1039's

After a bit of a search I found the topic in the link below so I will be ordering up the GP N B46-1038's

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...90622&st=20

^ Well worth a read if fitting performance Bilstein shocks ^

Rant'ish type post over :lol:

Edited by Cazzo

welshpug

I've just driven the car that I mentioned with the newer type BNE1931's fitted, felt nothing like the old spec units, took a long corner with several undulations on the inside line that can upset a car witha damping imbalance, felt perfectly fine even at the speed I took it...

From that experience I'd be happy to use them again.