• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gavbrum

Best Original Suspension Setup

gavbrum

Right I've searched the forum high and low for an answer to this question so i'm just gonna come out and say it.

Looking for the best suspension setup for my 205 GTI.

Now i've read a lot about avoiding coil overs as it's unlikely to get decent ones for less than £500. I've read that the Bilstein rear black shocks that come in the streetline (or whatever) kit are awful. Read that Koni's shocks are great and that yellow Bilsteins shocks are great, i've read a lot of opinions and I'm still no further forward as to what I want to put on the car.

What i'm really looking for is a good standard setup. Maybe a few inches lower than the standard ride height for looks reasons. But the main thing is that i'm fed up feeling like my spine might snap every time I hit a flipping pothole with my current setup. I have the Vmax coil overs kit on at the moment (recommended by Peugeot Eccose). Far too hard a ride even with them set to maximum height. They are probably crap but it was an impulse buy without prior investigation. I want to get it right this time.

I want good comfortable suspension with good handling. Won't be doing track days, just road use so comfort is the priority.

Definitely don't want original height. Couple of inches lower would be ideal.

I don't want to spend a fortune, but i'd like to do front and rear.

The idea is to un-mod the car to as original as possible if I can.

Not really interested in adjustable suspension as I have no real need for this.

You guys have the experience of various setups etc. What do you think I should go for? Any advice will be appreciated.

Cheers

Cameron

You kinda answered your own question there, Koni or Bilstein spring & damper kit.

Batfink

For my car I have gone for Bilstein B4 fronts combined with Eibach Pro-Kit springs, then Citroen Xantia B4 rears.

I'm afraid I have not tested it as I need to wire the engine...

Vmax are one of the crappiest suspension kits around...

Edited by Batfink

welshpug

Best original suspensio0n setup? Original Peugeot dampers at standard ride height of course!

For my car I have gone for Bilstein B4 fronts combined with Eibach Pro-Kit springs, then Citroen Xantia B4 rears.

you'll find they are Xsara dampers Kev :)

Xantia doesnt use telescopic dampers :P

Batfink
Best original suspensio0n setup? Original Peugeot dampers at standard ride height of course!

you'll find they are Xsara dampers Kev :huh:

Xantia doesnt use telescopic dampers :P

yeah thats the one. Lacking my morning tea and 4 sugars :) began with X.....

Stevo309

I'm in the same situation as i want my car as near to standard as poss but lowered. I can confirm that Bilstein black are crap as that's what's on the car now, too soft for me, have installed standard shocks on the rear (used ones) and it's much better but i need to change the fronts.

Standard dampers with lowering springs would be ok for me but i want more than 30mm lower and probably not as much as 60mm so coilovers seemed the best idea to get the exact ride height i wanted. I've had Spax, Avo and Koni on a 309 gti and Spax were terrible, Avo a little too soft but Koni's were very good.

S33GAV

Bilstein Sprintline on mine, can't complain with it, decent ride much better than my civic

Baz

I'd agree, Billy B4's on the front with something like GTi6 rears, or better still as said, B6's/Sprintline/Koni's etc. With Eibachs in any case though. :D

McDude

The title of this thread is confusing as only the original setup can be considered er.. original!

But I understand what you want and I personally have a similar set up to what Baz is proposing (Billies + Eibachs) only I have the Skip Brown recipe of this*

The ride is 25mm lower and is perfect for B-roads and track use without being crashy or harsh.

Also consider tightening up the ride and steering feel with Group N top mount rubbers and make sure your rear beam mounts aren't totally shot. Again group N sandwiches at the rear on mine feel solid without being crashy. The devil is in the detail after all.

* I do have the Skip Brown Phase II rear suspension set up which makes it stick like sh1t to a blanket but the Skip Brown Phase I keeps the rear end standard bar the ride height and billies.

I can thouroughly recommend the Skip Brown Phase II, but you'll need deep pockets.

gavbrum

So Bilstein B6's or B4's on the front with Eibach springs is the general consensus. Any idea where i'd get original rear shocks from or a suitable like for like replacement?

Baz

Peugeot? :D

Wes

i have gti6 black bilstein fronts with eibach springs and oe gti6 rear dampers and its perfect for fast road use.

gavbrum

I'll try peugeot 2moro. If they are less than £100 each i'll eat my own face.

welshpug

be prepared with the knife and fork, they were £70 the pair last time I checked.

gavbrum
Peugeot? :)

oe gti6 rear dampers? Where can I get them?

Cheers,

gavbrum

Wow really!! I'll ask about them 2moro. 1st reasonable price from peugeot ive ever heard. Cheers

welshpug

not asked for much then have you :)

gavbrum

I've spent a couple hundred quid from them over the past 2 years. Found them to be quite reasonable with some parts but others; hoses, screws etc a bit extortionate. I'll wait an see what they say 2moro.

Wes

rear dampers are about £49 each i think. and cheapest place for bilsteins i could find was ecp.

Edited by wes205mi

gavbrum
rear dampers are about £49 each i think. and cheapest place for bilsteins i could find was ecp.

Thanks man. Ill check out ecp the now an post back peugeots rear damper price 2moro.

gavbrum

Just got a price from Peugeot for original rear dampers

Part number 5206te £53.58 each

Worth it??

S33GAV

Better start eating that face of yours then :)

welshpug

that the superseding part, the 5206 K6 are a few quid cheaper, only a year or so ago they were £35 :)

205freak

why don´t you use the 306 bilstein front/rear.

welshpug

the rears are the same BNE 1931 damper, i.e crap.

nothing wrong with the front ones.

Edited by welshpug