• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
fliprio

Track Driving With Reduced Turning Circle Using 6-speed Box

fliprio

Hi all,

I’m off to Cadwell Park on Tuesday for a track day, and while struggling with the useless turning circle with my GTi-6 6 speed box today at the supermarket today I had a thought, will the useless turning circle hinder me while on track? I would have thought you would be going fast enough to not need more than one full turn, but it’s my first track day so was unsure.

I don’t have any stops on the rack so the tyre just rubs, which isn’t ideal, but it’s usually only at very low speed so it doesn’t really damage the tyre.

Baz

No, you should be fine.

I was there a few weeks ago in one of mine with a limited lock rack and barely noticed it on the track.

fliprio
No, you should be fine.

I was there a few weeks ago in one of mine with a limited lock rack and barely noticed it on the track.

good, sounds like it will be ok then, my main worry was the tyre hitting the end of the box at high speed becaue it could damage the tyre, did you manage to use up all the lock at any point on the track?

MrG

I think at Cadwell there's only one or two corners that need more lock than normal, this is just after the entry onto the track itself where you have a 2 relative 90deg bends/corners to do but I doubt you'll really notice it.

Just enjoy it, its a fab track, just watch for those pesky caterhams, they get everywhere

Cameron

you shouldn't have any problems, but you won't get through an MOT with the tyre rubbing the gearbox.

fliprio
you shouldn't have any problems, but you won't get through an MOT with the tyre rubbing the gearbox.

It got put down as an advisory last year, I have only just got the car so I may try and sort something out to stop it from rubbing, or just stick a 5 speed in there as I was thinking of doing some autosolos in it which need a lot of steering lock!

flyfisher
It got put down as an advisory last year, I have only just got the car so I may try and sort something out to stop it from rubbing, or just stick a 5 speed in there as I was thinking of doing some autosolos in it which need a lot of steering lock!

i had a gti box in my tuned lazer green 1.9 you wont get a mot unless you rig up a steering stop or have rack modified.useing it on the road is a pain mini rounabouts ect and muti story car parks are a nono. luved the box tho

Baz

Well he clearly did get an MOT didn't he. ;)

I think you'll find it's one of those things that comes down to the tester's discretion.

fliprio
Well he clearly did get an MOT didn't he. ;)

I think you'll find it's one of those things that comes down to the tester's discretion.

its been like it for about 6 years since the car was built, so its not the first time its passed with it like it

flyfisher

well i had big probs getting mot on mine maybe my m.o.t man was just a a/hole

pug_ham

You shuldn't have any issues with a GTI-6 box on your car at Cadwell imo, none of the corners need that much lock & afaik others have managed with it fine.

Or maybe he was doing things right & thinking of his MOT license?

Graham.

Cameron
Well he clearly did get an MOT didn't he.

Sorry, must have missed the bit where he said it had recently been through an MOT like it. :P

I just thought I'd mention it as mine failed through the tyre touching the box.

fliprio

there can be massive inconsistencies with MOTs, the three preveous tests didnt even put it down as a advisory, but this time they did

fliprio

well what can I say, Cadwell park was the best fun I have had in a long time :) Car is in one peice and some good fun with a blue 205 gti-6

While I didnt run out of steering lock, I did notice that the steering gets very tight once you have getting close to one full turn of lock into the tigher bends. It has been set-up with -2° of camber on the front, can this cause the steering to tighten up in such a fashion?