• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pugpete1108

B*lls, Sheared Bleed Nipple

pugpete1108

was just going to bleed my hdi callipers today and managed to shear the driver bleed nipple off :huh:

i though oh well i'll just knock a torx bit in there and twist it out, bad idea as the torx bit sheared off level with the nipple :):angry:

any tips for getting this out? i'm thinking i will have to drill it out....carefully

GeorgeXS

heat, i snapped mine off when i rebuilt my calipers, blowtorch sorted it nicely!

pugpete1108

its snapped off below the level of the calliper. i cant see how i can get a purchase on it.

i might have to give it to the engineers at work and see if they can fix it.

welshpug

you'll be hard pushed to do anything with the snapped torx bi tin there, it'll have to be a bloody hard cutting tool to clear the hole, an engineering shop may have some ideas for you.

on a different tact, I think Phill (rippthrought) said you can erode the ferrous bits out with acid, it will need total stripdown of course due to the steel piston and handbrake mechanism, then submerge only the nipple section.

wracing

Drill it out pete, its an easy job if your careful, normally the heat of drilling frees everything up anyway,

James

pugpete1108
you'll be hard pushed to do anything with the snapped torx bi tin there, it'll have to be a bloody hard cutting tool to clear the hole, an engineering shop may have some ideas for you.

on a different tact, I think Phill (rippthrought) said you can erode the ferrous bits out with acid, it will need total stripdown of course due to the steel piston and handbrake mechanism, then submerge only the nipple section.

i did read that somewhere, maybe the same post.

what sort of acid would i be looking for?

and mine is a front calliper so no handbrake :P so i would just need to remove the piston.

sounds easier that drilling the thing out

welshpug

doh, :P should be much simpler then! send Phill a PM :)

AdamP

Either drill it out and run through with a tap (you can move up to an M8 bleed nipple if you need it), or take it off, strip it down, place a nut on the top and weld through onto the bleed nipple.

Tom Fenton

Decide how you are going to tackle it, as if you get it properly hot, or weld to it, you will then struggle to drill it, as the heat will pull the carbon up to the surface and make it pot hard.

I usually drill through to within 0.5 mm of the core size and then you can normally pick the remains out of the thread.

pugpete1108
Decide how you are going to tackle it, as if you get it properly hot, or weld to it, you will then struggle to drill it, as the heat will pull the carbon up to the surface and make it pot hard.

I usually drill through to within 0.5 mm of the core size and then you can normally pick the remains out of the thread.

thats exactly why i have left it as i thought of welding a nut on but then thought if it shears the nut off i wil be left with a load of weld to drill through too,plus as you say the bit and nipple will be harder too.

i'll go buy myself some good bits and set about drilling it out i have a m8 tap here so may have to go up to that is i pogger the thread.

and cheers for the help with the box Tom. i changed the crownwheel last night and it is quiet as a mouse now :P . least i have learnt a little about gearboxes over the last couple of weeks.

Stevo309

I've had good success with these using EZ outs before, have also used them to get sheared off brake disc locating screws

Stevo309

Forgot to say, i have managed to bleed the calipers still when this happens by slackening off the fluid pipe so fluid comes out of the thread along with the air. Not ideal though but it can get you out of a spot until you have chance to repair the sheared off nipple.

pugpete1108
Forgot to say, i have managed to bleed the calipers still when this happens by slackening off the fluid pipe so fluid comes out of the thread along with the air. Not ideal though but it can get you out of a spot until you have chance to repair the sheared off nipple.

I might have to have a go at this just as a temp solution. Tbh it's not that bad as it is, just a little spongy

joe1joe

well i think the fact that the torx bit has snaped in there (hardend) will make the situation night mare thats why easy out arnt realy very good!