• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest theoptician

Rear Beam 1989 1.9gti

Guest theoptician

Have a feeling the rear beam is going to need replacing to get my 1.9gti (1989) through its MOT.

Aware this isn't going to be cheap - can someone give me some advice - is this a part that's available reconditioned or is it better to fit new?

Also approx cost to have this done at a garage

swordfish210

There are two members on here (that i know of) who do beams on exchange purposes i.e. you buy a recondtioned one and give them your old one in exchange. Send Anthony or Jord294 a PM to find out of they have any beams available.

Daviewonder

Welcome along. From what I've seen you can pick up fully recon beams for £300 - £400 depending on if they come with the rear brakes etc, you would then probably be looking at paying a garage around an hours labour to have it fitted to the car. If the car is your second vehicle and you can afford to have it off the road for a bit then I would suggest having a go at rebuilding and fitting the beam yourself as it's quite an easy job and you will save yourself a lot of money. There's a lot of info scattered about on this forum and on the main site that tells you exactly how to do this.

Hope this helps :lol:

jord294

i'm only 10 mile from you, so feel free to come round and i can let you know what sort of condition your beam is in

guaranteed, i'll be cheaper than any garage

cheers

hexhamstu

I would recommend paying jord on anthony instead of a garage, as you are garunteed a good product (I have never had a beam from jord but he has many happy customers on the forum and his beams look top notch, I have had a beam off anthony and it was all good.) I hate taking my car to a garage they are all bodgers and thieves.

Wes

i have just fitted my recon beam from anthony today and all i can say is its transformed the handling, but then my suspension isn't standard.

Russell_ds80
I would recommend paying jord on anthony instead of a garage, as you are garunteed a good product (I have never had a beam from jord but he has many happy customers on the forum and his beams look top notch, I have had a beam off anthony and it was all good.) I hate taking my car to a garage they are all bodgers and thieves.

thats a bit out of order. the trades given a bad name cos there is a lot of bodgers. but not ALL.

hexhamstu
thats a bit out of order. the trades given a bad name cos there is a lot of bodgers. but not ALL.

Ok fair enough it was a bit harsh. Your average mechanic is a bodger and con artist. Some mechanics probably aren't.