• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
skinner2k3

Safe Limit To Lower Column

skinner2k3

I have lowered my steering column by adding a few washers between the bracket and the column and it was sufficient until I fitted a removable steering boss.

The wheel has obviously come back towards me (fine, I needed that) but it has also inevitably gone up again slightly.

I was thinking of cutting down the studs and making up some threaded metal Female/Female spacers of the correct hight that would screw onto the original studs and allow me to bolt through the bracket.

Is there a limit to which you can go before it causes issues with the UJ on the column?

Anyone know what the thread is?

Thanks

Ben

engine killer

For your information, I am running about an inch spacer between the bracket and the column without any trouble.

But I guess too much lowering will make the angle of the joint between upper part and lower part becomes too awkward to turn.

if your is a road car, you may also want to make a shroud to fill the gap between dash facia and column cover.

post-4860-1280367277_thumb.jpg

post-4860-1280367291_thumb.jpg

skinner2k3

Thanks for that, from the difference just a few washers made I am sure a spacer that size will be enough.

Its a track car so not too worried about there being a gap.

Cheers