• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
TKH

Rust, Paint, Powders And The Likes.

TKH

I am in the process of totally stripping my 205. At the moment I am thinking totally stripping down the subframe and all suspension parts to the bar metal. Then have then powder coated.

The body I was going to clean all the rusty spots down to the metal. Then try the new fangled zinc epoxy primer and then repaint using one of these new fangled epoxy paint.

It's many years since I last did any painting so am going to have a chat with the guys at the paint shop before I start anything. But I just wanted peoples thoughts before I start. I am thinking perhaps I may be better paining all the suspension parts as the high zinc content may help prevent rust down the line?

Thanks

Edited by TKH

Tesstuff
It's many MANY years since I last did a paragraph

Cheers

Beastie

I've always been a little disappointed with powder coating because it's so brittle. I'm currently building a project car for a customer who has had his suspension components sand blasted and powder coated - there were some chips in the finish after some of the parts knocked together in his car when he brought them down to me, and this in my experience is fairly typical :(

I'm a great fan of painting suspension components in 2pack which gives a lovely finish and is very durable. If going to this trouble it's always worth having everthing either sandblasted or acid dipped as apppropriate and then treating the bare metal with Phosphate anti rust treatment - Metal Ready from Frost is a good one to go for. I always prime suspension components with Red Lead oxide... yes I know you can't get that anymore officially but if you know where to go :) POR 15 from Frost is also excellent as a primer and you can get thinners for it so it can be sprayed on.

For people undertaking work in home workshops I always recommend a coat of POR 15 followed by at least 2 coats of International primer followed by 2 coats of International Japlac available from many DIY stores. Much more durable and glossy than Hammerite although not as good as 2 pack but it is all safe to use with DIY equipment.

For the body, if you are totally stripping then I can recommend Surface Processing although their waiting list can be rather long. The price is to my mind a bargain considering what you get for your money.