• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
d7ve_b

Grumbling Noise?

d7ve_b

Hi all,

I have a grumbling noise which i'm trying to diagnose, the symptoms have been as follows:

- A few weeks ago a squeaking noise started to emit from the front end, the frequency of the noise changed with road speed

- Next came a grumbling noise which sends mild vibrations through the front footwells, the noise and vibration are most noticeable when the engine is put under load in 4th and 5th

- The grumbling has now progressed to a metal on metal type rubbing noise aparent in all gears at any speed, again it's intensity changes under road speed, not engine speed

- There's no obvious change in the noises when turning left or right

- I've jacked both front wheels up and can't feel any play either of them so the bearings *seem* ok

I'm thinking the issue is driveshaft related, but that's only taken from some search results. What are peoples views?

BTW the car is a standard 1.6GTI.

Thanks,

Dave.

richsmells

Possibly a bound caliper? The rears on my 306 did the same until one side had worn the pad right down. Started off as a squeak, eventually becomming a horrific grumble!

d7ve_b

Thanks Rich, I take it I'd be able to see if it's this by visual inspection of the front discs? i.e. one side would be significantly more worn than the other? Can a similar thing happen to rear drums?

richsmells

I'm not sure about the drums, I guess so if the cylinders are past their best. Cheap to replace too. The drum handbrake mechanism can sieze up too. Miles stripped mine down and showed me before and after once. The handbrake was much better too. Probably worth jacking the rear up and feeling for any resistance as you turn the wheel.

Whip the front wheels off and check the state of the pads. If they're uneven or excessively worn then you could have sticky sliders or a siezed piston. You can strip down and re-grease, but exchange refurbed calipers aren't badly priced.

Edited by richsmells

d7ve_b

Thanks Rich, I'll have a look. I've had some issues with the N/S rear drum recently so that could be the culprit I suppose.

Any other suggestions as to potential issues I should look for whilst I have the wheels off?

Cheers,

Dave.

kyepan

also... possibly exhaust manifold rubbing on the bulkhead due to worn lower engine mount... varies with load and gets worse as the mount warms up and softens. Check it's condition visually, and try getting it warm and revving the engine hard whilst stationary to rock it on it's mounts.

cheers

J

Simes

Intermediate bearing on the longer driveshaft.