• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Obey_R

Cannot Get Brake Lines Off

Obey_R

I'm in the process of removing the beam and tank to get some welding done, but I can't get the flexi pipes off?! The last time I did it I just cut the lines because I didn't need to reuse them, but this time I'm trying to remove them properly.

It's where the flexi meets the copper line on the radius arm - I've got them to start unscrewing, but if that will still leave me with a flexi attached to the bracket and on the other end the main pipes.

Can someone either tell me what I'm doing wrong, or how cheap are the normal rubber lines to replace?

4819134424_b76f3ca836.jpg

Edited by Obey_R

Daviewonder

You need to undo the nut like you're doing (work it back and forth and use wd40 if it starts to twist the copper pipe). Then remove the U shaped spring clip (can normally be knocked out using blunt screwdriver and a hammer), then the flexi should just pull out of the bracket. :(

Obey_R

Thanks for that :( The copper is twisting quite badly, I assume the nut is meant to spin and the copper not?

Daviewonder

Yeah thats right, the nut should spin and the copper pipe should stay still :(

gowmonster

brake line coming out of the union looks a wee bit bent, try and straighten it up as it may be catching and that's the reason it's turning.

Obey_R

Thanks, got them both off - one unscrewed but the nut on the other union was shagged so just snipped the copper. Beam is now off, but because I can't take the wheels off, or jack the car high enough without it slipping, it's still stuck under the car!

yeti-dj

since the whole beam and tank is coming off i would take this opportunity to replace all the copper and flexi lines for your brakes, far easier now than when the parts are back on.

i think the flexi lines are about £13 each and the copper lines wont cost much,

just an idea.

welshpug

It costs about £15 to fully re-plumb a 1.6 205, £20 for a 1.9 because you need 2 rolls due to the diagonal split.

Brake hoses are about £6.50 each.

Definitely as mr Yeti said get the tank off whilst you're at it.

Batfink

A bit of heat, some plusgas and a sharp tap against the spanner with my hand has not failed me yet.

Obey_R

For that kind of money I might as well I guess! Will probably give it all a paint and/or seal, its not very often the beam, tank and exhaust is all off.

Do most just settle for kurust on the bad bits and allover hammerite or something more suited?

shalmaneser

Those unions are a complete arsehole. As above when I did it I replaced all the lines and flexis for not very much money. Got a flairing tool as well for £20 which has proved top be very useful.

It's worth noting if you're doing a 1.9 beam that the two bits of flexi by the calipers can be chucked in the bin, just run solid lines right from the end you've photographed to the caliper. That's how later 306s were anyway and it saves on flexis and potential leaky unions.

Obey_R

I should be retaining the 1.6 beam but I'll get the whole system done whilst I'm at it.

Thanks for all the help!