• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
205*31*

Sunroof Blanking

205*31*

Hey I am wanting my sunroof blanking of and when it comes to using diy tools etc... I am not the best and would rather not attempt to do it myself. I was hoping with experience of doing this someone fancys doing the work on my sunroof I will pay obviously :(

cheers.

Edited by 205*31*

205*31*

another note doing the job shouldn't be half as hard because all my head lining is taken out and I have also removed the interior light which I believe you need to, only thing inside now is a roll cage :(

I can see many threads inside car around sunroof area which I presume these are the so called rivet nuts they use? but I can't see any screws around the interior light area to remove as I gather these allow the plastic trim outside car to be pulled of?

yeti-dj

have you taken all the outer sunroof parts off?

the rivet nuts need to be drilled off from outside the car so you can rivet the new plate into place.

hope this helps.

205*31*
have you taken all the outer sunroof parts off?

the rivet nuts need to be drilled off from outside the car so you can rivet the new plate into place.

hope this helps.

no mate I am not sure how the plastic trims come off that are on the outside, I have looked inside and from what I read on here there should be 2 nuts holding the front part of the trim on but I cannot see any nuts near the interior light?

yeti-dj

there should be 2 philips screws at each side of the interior light and that allows the front part of the trim to come off, then under this at the front is another 2 screws,one on each side of the car of each plastic trim, undo these and each side plastic slides backwards to come off..

keep on looking.

Edited by yeti-dj

205*31*

ok I have took a picture the hole circled red is where I presume these philips screws were in and the bit I circled green are all these rivet nuts they are all round inside. So if the 2 philips screws are already out I guess the front trim should be lose... so how does it pull of from outside? also these other 2 screws you mention on the sides are these underneath the front trim so once removed you will see the other 2 screws on outside?

cheers.

post-15249-1279914932_thumb.jpg

Rob Turbo

The phillips screws are the ones that hold the front trim on, with them out, open the sunroof and hit the trim forwards with the palm of your hand, it's probably nicely stuck in place by now, once the front is off take the torx bolts out of the side trims then slide the trims back then pull them off, now you will be able to see the stops at the back end of the guides, remove these and the sunroof handle, the glass will now slide right back out of the guides. Make sure everything is disconnected from the mechanism (drain pipes and vaccumn pipes and possibly operating cables, I can't remember exactly what's on!) then remove the rest of the torx bolts from outside and pull the whole lot out, it's also stuck down so be careful not to damage the roof.

205*31*
The phillips screws are the ones that hold the front trim on, with them out, open the sunroof and hit the trim forwards with the palm of your hand, it's probably nicely stuck in place by now, once the front is off take the torx bolts out of the side trims then slide the trims back then pull them off, now you will be able to see the stops at the back end of the guides, remove these and the sunroof handle, the glass will now slide right back out of the guides. Make sure everything is disconnected from the mechanism (drain pipes and vaccumn pipes and possibly operating cables, I can't remember exactly what's on!) then remove the rest of the torx bolts from outside and pull the whole lot out, it's also stuck down so be careful not to damage the roof.

how do I open the sunroof now I have removed all the handle stuff from inside car :lol:

Rob Turbo

The cable (throttle/bike brake cable type thing) is the locking mechanism, this needs to be pulled to unlock the slider, if the vac pipes are already off the seal might need pulling off the glass, just push your fingers between the glass and the seal to make sure it's not still stuck to the glass, then it should slide back.

205*31*

thanks guys its a shame no one is offering pre cut to shape alu plates already with holes etc... I know there was a group buy sometime ago but thats long since :( just I don't have tools to start messing cutting aluminium/metal up and drilling holes, last thing I want to do is remove all sunroof and be stuck need to get it done in a day :)

oz.

Someone's doing a group buy of carbon plates. It took me an hour to cut my plate (road sign) with a grinder, drill a few holes then wham a load of rivets in.

Alan_M
Someone's doing a group buy of carbon plates. It took me an hour to cut my plate (road sign) with a grinder, drill a few holes then wham a load of rivets in.

No need to rivet, I used dome head bolts on mine (M4s I think). A road sign seemed a bit thin to me so used thicker ally. Whip off the sunroof frame and use it as a template to draw round then grind/jigsaw/drill.

Only thing is the paintjob I did is a bit pants. Its flaking already.

205*31*

Yes I have seen the carbon plate buy but at £150 abit on the pricey for me to be honest :)

Mad Scientist

I used steel. A little heavier but a lot more durable. Had it powder coated after I drilled the holes! Took no more than an hour to make and fit.