• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
rob_furious

1.9gti Brakes On 1.6gti Hubs And Shafts

rob_furious

right guys iv got 1.6 hubs and shafts. and iv been offered 1900 brakes by a friend but he says i will need 1600 hubs and shafts due to the offset on hubs for the calipers being diffrent and also that the shaft ends are diffrent on 1900's.

right so basically what im asking is what is the diffrent combinations of hubs i can use to change over to 1900 brakes. iv heard something about 306 gti hubs but do i need to change the shafts?

1900 hubs with 1900 shafts

lower spec model hubs with 1.6 shafts.

welshpug

to run the 1.9 brake caliper you don't need to change anything, keep the original 1.6 disc.

so change to brakes like the gti6 yes you are correct about the parts you need

pugpete1108

you cant fit any other disks on the 1.6 hubs afaik. not sure on the callipers

i was in the same situation, but managed to get hold of some base model hubs which still run the 1.6 shafts and can fit other callipers and disk to.

im now running 280mm 307 hdi disks and calllipers on base hubs and 1.6 shafts.

i think if you use 306 hubs you will need 306 or maybe 1.9 shafts?

Edited by pugpete1108

rob_furious

1.1 hubs ok for the conversion? they will be right to run 1900 disks and calipers on 1.6 shafts.

pug_ham
1.1 hubs ok for the conversion? they will be right to run 1900 disks and calipers on 1.6 shafts.

Yes but you can simply fit the 1.9 calipers + pads to your car now & use the 1.6 discs.

They are the same size on all 205's as standard (247mm) just the 1.9 calipers are a beefier design.

Graham.

rob_furious

yeah want the beefier disks because im getting a few sets of trick pads and disks. so want to use them not the dead bendix iv got on the car.

pug_ham
yeah want the beefier disks because im getting a few sets of trick pads and disks. so want to use them not the dead bendix iv got on the car.

But they are the same size 1.6 to 1.9, outside diameter (247mm) & thickness...

So you could just use the Girling calipers & trick pads on the 1.6 discs.

Graham.

Loose Hand Luke
i was in the same situation, but managed to get hold of some base model hubs which still run the 1.6 shafts and can fit other callipers and disk to.

im now running 280mm 307 hdi disks and calllipers on base hubs and 1.6 shafts.

Sorry to butt in, but are you saying that if you fit newer 280mm discs and calipers onto base hubs (eg small TU engined cars like 1.1 and 1.4 etc?) they just bolt on?

They don't need a spacer on the caliper or anything?

Sorry, I'm still learning what new bits fit :rolleyes:

pug_ham
Sorry to butt in, but are you saying that if you fit newer 280mm discs and calipers onto base hubs (eg small TU engined cars like 1.1 and 1.4 etc?) they just bolt on?

They don't need a spacer on the caliper or anything?

Sorry, I'm still learning what new bits fit :D

Yes, they should fit straight on as do the 266mm brakes from various 306 models.

Graham.

joe1joe

Yep as i have gti-6 brakes on my base model hubs, i thought that the 1.9 calipers wouldnt fit on the 1:6 hubs, learn something new every day!

DirtyFlare

to fit 1.9 calipers onto 1.6 hubs do you not have to change the caliper retaining bolts?

peter

Yes for the conversion you would need the short caliper bolts relevent to the caliper your using, but leave the 1.6 discs, 106 gti 306 d turbo calipers also fit this way wich are a better design and are easier to get hold of than 1.9 calipers.