• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
rallyjonesy205

309 Rear Brakes Onto 1.6 Rear Beam

rallyjonesy205

I am just in the process of looking at fitting a set of 309 gti rear brakes onto my 1.6 rear beam. not changing beam as was refurbed just before i bought the car 2 years ago. The brakes came off of a 309 gti that some fool smashed the front end in and wrote it off, whch i got car for £150 because he couldnt be bothered to break the car down himself.

Anyway im just asking if anybody knows if this as straight forward as im thinking it is, i do have all the fittings apart from the stubs off the old beam. im just sourcing the new bearings/hubs for the brakes then i was going to try but thought i may as well check that they fit before i make fool of myself.

Jonesy

Tom Fenton

You need the 309 or 205 1.9 stub axles. Otherwise it is a bolt on job.

rallyjonesy205
You need the 309 or 205 1.9 stub axles. Otherwise it is a bolt on job.

I was really hoping that wasnt the case. As i dont have the stub axles. Take it they are a different size then.

jonesy

Tom Fenton

They are indeed very different. Larger dia and longer. As soon as you offer the wheel bearings up you'll see they are miles different.

rallyjonesy205

had that funny feeling in the back of my head that would be the case. what is the easiest and best way to replace the stubs and do you know where i might be able to get hold of some new ones.

jonesy

shalmaneser
had that funny feeling in the back of my head that would be the case. what is the easiest and best way to replace the stubs and do you know where i might be able to get hold of some new ones.

jonesy

May as well get the whole assembly from any disc braked 306 or Xsara - the breakers is your best bet.

welshpug

you need to use 205/309 disc brake stub axles, they are shorter than 306/Xsara as they have ABS and a different offset disc+hub.

the diameter of the stub axles is the same, its all in the length.

rallyjonesy205

cheers for the info. glad i didnt strip brakes down then find this out. it would of really annoyed the hell out of me. oh well just gotta find some stub axles from somewhere gonna try scrappies first never know they may have one there. if not try to source from somewhere just not sure where yet.

jonesy

toodumbtosmile

Shenpar sell the stub axles - had to get one myself last month

rallyjonesy205

cheers ill take a look. take it is a case of hitting them out and in just with some care when going back in. or is there an easier way to get them in and out. i may just go with brute force with care.

jonesy