• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
RICH530I

Rear Beam?

RICH530I

Hell I am needing a rear beam for my 1.9 GTI. I have found one which I am told is off a 1.6 GTI. Am I able to swap the disks and calipers onto it off mine? If this beam is not off a 1.6 GTI and just off a normal 205 is there any differance? will it still fit and perform the same?

many thanks

Richard.

jimistdt

If it is a 205 GTi beam then the tube will thicken slightly in the centre, if it's a base model beam the tube will likely be black in colour and you will need to swap the torsion bars and anti roll bars from your existing beam.

You can retain your present brake set-up on the new beam, whichever it is.

Edited by jimistdt

RICH530I
If it is a 205 GTi beam then the tube will thicken slightly in the centre, if it's a base model beam the tube will likely be black in colour and you will need to swap the torsion bars and anti roll bars from your existing beam.

You can retain your present brake set-up on the new beam, whichever it is.

I have now been told its off a 205 van???

jimistdt

Ooh! 21mm Torsion bars, they'll be worth keeping. Not sure on the A.R.B. though. but I'd take it anyway for the bars.

EDIT: Anti Roll Bar could either be 16 or 19mm depending on year

Edited by jimistdt

welshpug

wont always be 21mm on a van, but there's a chance they could be.

worth noting that if you do get a drum equipped rear beam and want to retain your disc brakes you will need to fit the disc brake stub axles as they are 5mm or so longer.

Edited by welshpug