• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
swordfish210

New Dash And Gauges

swordfish210

Hey all, i'm about to start completly rewiring the 205 and i'm looking to upgrade the dash while i'm at it. I currently have this as my dash (sorry, not the best pic):

DSC002082.jpg

Now i'm looking to completly start again by ditching the whole lot, making a new dash from fibreglass and mounting the gauges in it with new warning lights i.e. ditch all of the standard stuff. The first thing i am looking at is one of these:

http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p4160/RA...oduct_info.html

Has anyone ever used one before with the sender, are they easy to modify to the 205 tank? The other thing i want to ditch is the standard speedo (it's s*ite anyway) I'm looking at one of these to go with the rev counter:

http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p14053/R...oduct_info.html

Has anyone ever used one before, do they work well? Not sure what i would do with the mileage on this speedo as well, any ideas. Thanks. Mark

mickie

racetech gauges are quite good, when i bought some they came with instructions so that will help you out a lot.. sorry i cant be of any help with using the standard loom

jackherer

I fitted a Caerbont (Smiths) electronic speedo to a 205 and I used a GTI6 speedo sender (the purely electrical ones) to drive it. The mileage was on zero so the MOTs after that have recorded from there and the insurance company were prepared to go along with it when they asked the mileage too. As a speedo, it works excellently, the 205 speedo wobble is completely gone!

A friend of mine has one of those racetech fuel gauges but I didn't fit it so I don't know what sender it is using. I'll have a proper look in the next couple of days and let you know.

swordfish210
racetech gauges are quite good, when i bought some they came with instructions so that will help you out a lot.. sorry i cant be of any help with using the standard loom

The rev counter i wired in is pretty good. There won't be any standard loom left in the car as i'm starting from scratch, trying to get rid of all the OE electrical gremlins.

swordfish210
I fitted a Caerbont (Smiths) electronic speedo to a 205 and I used a GTI6 speedo sender (the purely electrical ones) to drive it. The mileage was on zero so the MOTs after that have recorded from there and the insurance company were prepared to go along with it when they asked the mileage too. As a speedo, it works excellently, the 205 speedo wobble is completely gone!

A friend of mine has one of those racetech fuel gauges but I didn't fit it so I don't know what sender it is using. I'll have a proper look in the next couple of days and let you know.

I didnt thnk about using an OE speedo sensor, might be a good idea. I have a Carebon oil gauge and it's excellent, i only went for the Racetech idea as it would match the rev counter. I'll have a chat with the insurance about it and see what they say, i'm pretty sure the MOT station i use won't have a problem with it.

Thanks for that.

Capn. Pugwash

I'm about to do the same thing to my rally car. Someone recommended Pricol gauges to me and they look the goods, while not being too expensive. They hold up well under race conditions too! :lol:

A Hobbs pressure switch driving the oil pressure warning light is a good idea, the standard one doesn't tell you much before it's too late! :D

swordfish210
I'm about to do the same thing to my rally car. Someone recommended Pricol gauges to me and they look the goods, while not being too expensive. They hold up well under race conditions too! :(

A Hobbs pressure switch driving the oil pressure warning light is a good idea, the standard one doesn't tell you much before it's too late! :)

I'll be using an oil pressure switch mounted off the standard location on a T-Piece to run a light in conjunction with the oil pressure gauge, i was having a chat with Anthony about it and he swayed my opinion :D

swordfish210

I popped over to Merlins the other day and had a look at some gauges. I was looking at the Racetech sender and it seems you may be able to set the standard sender to work with it but i may lose some of the lower end of the gauge i.e. it would read empty when there is actually 10 liters still in there. So i'll probably just go for a complete new sender unit.

On that note, the sender unit they supply looks completly different fittings to the base model tank but more similar to a GTI tank so....

can i still run my Facet fuel pump with the GTI fuel pump tank or would it be better to utalise the in tank pump and run some pressure regulators and do the GTI tanks really have better baffles so they will be more resistant to fuel surge? Thanks again.

Matt Holley

Ive got a pick up spare for using in a gti tank with no in tank pump if you need it.

swordfish210
Ive got a pick up spare for using in a gti tank with no in tank pump if you need it.

Cheers Matt, i may have that.